Bolts Anyone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

This kit with higher end exotic woods sell well for us. Customers really like figure, spalting and chatoyance once explained. The wood blanks are from WoodTurningz - their premium stuff. L to R spalted jatoba, sycamore burl, curly koa and Bethlehem olive wood.

I read lots of people on this forum in search of fast, easy CA - like finishes for their pens. This is real CA finish, 14 coats of it! It took 1-1/2 hours: turning, sanding, cleaning, CA application, end sanding, end sealing, sanding and buffing. The CA application took about 1-2 minutes per pen - to me that's quick.

Your mileage may vary…

Attachments

• CF7153F9-79A3-4E7A-8E87-5EE9E81787FA.jpeg
    CF7153F9-79A3-4E7A-8E87-5EE9E81787FA.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Mark,
This is one of my favorite kits. While the brass finish is my personal least favorite, it sells well. The hunters and soldiers seem to prefer that brass. I see PSI has a new type of this kit.... camouflage. One of these days I'll have to order some of those. Anyway, nice looking pens. Thanks for sharing.

Seven

keithbyrd

Mark - Nice job! One question - How do you get 14 coats of ca on in 1-2 minutes? I do 14-16 coats and it takes me about 15-20 minutes - 8 thin and 8 med coats.

mmayo

Mark - Nice job! One question - How do you get 14 coats of ca on in 1-2 minutes? I do 14-16 coats and it takes me about 15-20 minutes - 8 thin and 8 med coats.
It takes a few seconds per thin 5 cps application. I do four of those and then spray after the last one. I then start on "Pen Finish" or 50 cps CA. I apply a coat and immediately spray lightly. I repeat three more times. I reverse the lathe and apply four more coats with spray after each. I reverse the lathe and apply two coats with spray after each. My spray is Stickfast can of accelerator. My CA is EasyBond exclusively.

I am not rushing to be fast. This is how I do it to make it perfect. I guess I'll set up a camera and show folks some time.

RKB

The finish and character of those barrels is excellent. Thank you for sharing your work and processes here on IAP. The finish on your pens is second to none.

KMCloonan

I agree with Rod - your CA finish is always outstanding! The combination of high quality Kits, high end blanks, and excellent craftsmanship is why you are able to sell so many. Nice!

jrista

They look wonderful! Beautiful pens!

Curious, what kind of CA did you use? GluBoost?

keithbyrd

It takes a few seconds per thin 5 cps application. I do four of those and then spray after the last one. I then start on "Pen Finish" or 50 cps CA. I apply a coat and immediately spray lightly. I repeat three more times. I reverse the lathe and apply four more coats with spray after each. I reverse the lathe and apply two coats with spray after each. My spray is Stickfast can of accelerator. My CA is EasyBond exclusively.

I am not rushing to be fast. This is how I do it to make it perfect. I guess I'll set up a camera and show folks some time.
Thanks Mark - appreciate the extra info. I spray briefly 2-3 times through the process. I find if I spray more than that the finish tends to get rough requiring more sanding!

mmayo

Thanks Mark - appreciate the extra info. I spray briefly 2-3 times through the process. I find if I spray more than that the finish tends to get rough requiring more sanding!
I used to get that too. I exclusively use EZ Bond and Stickfast canned accelerator. It works for me and I get wholesale prices with an order over $150.

Top Bottom