Bolt action with pheasantwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewby108

Drewby108

I like the bolt action mechanism, but I really wish there was more variety to the body styles that use it.

Pheasantwood with red, white, and blue veneer stripes. Leftover blank from a different pen I made for my girlfriend. This is the fourth blank used on this kit because the first two were crappy pieces of black palm and the third was a poorly assembled (didn't really expect it to work) segmented piece.

Attachments

• 20220523_194932.jpg
    20220523_194932.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 144
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

There are a couple of different designs using the bolt action. One is the Tec Pen, a variation is the gearshift version, and also the Steampunk.

Drewby108

There are a couple of different designs using the bolt action. One is the Tec Pen, a variation is the gearshift version, and also the Steampunk.

I made a gearshift for my dad. I really enjoy that one for a presentation pen, but not one I'd carry around for everyday stuff.

The steampunk has the bullet nib and that's what I feel like it overplayed. I like the rest of it, though.

I've been thinking of getting myself the tac pen for a personal pen. This one was more of a spur of the moment buy at Woodcraft when getting other stuff.

More of my point was about the bulk of the bolt actions are focused solely on guns and bullets instead of applying that mechanism to other body styles.

cyclop5

Now, if only we could get more matching bolt action pen-and-pencil kits too. I had a customer this weekend wanted a matching bolt action pen and pencil set, just not bullet-themed. I told her I'd have to get back to her. There's a Vertex pencil conversion, but it's for the click pen (not the bolt action). I actually plan to see if I can make some sort of franken-pencil from a couple different sets, but I've no idea if that's possible. (or more accurately, possible with my current skillset)

Drewby108

A bolt action pencil would be awesome, but I have no idea how that'd be possible with the way the mechanism locks in place.

I suppose if you don't mind it snapping back to the starting position, you could just change a click mechanism to a barrel around the mechanism, but that's not the same feeling.

egnald

Now, if only we could get more matching bolt action pen-and-pencil kits too. I had a customer this weekend wanted a matching bolt action pen and pencil set, just not bullet-themed. I told her I'd have to get back to her. There's a Vertex pencil conversion, but it's for the click pen (not the bolt action). I actually plan to see if I can make some sort of franken-pencil from a couple different sets, but I've no idea if that's possible. (or more accurately, possible with my current skillset)

I have converted several non-click pen styles to pencils by simply replacing the Parker refill with a Schmidt DSM 2006 Pencil Mechanism (0.7mm) with satisfactory results; however, I have never tried one on a Bolt Action style.

Considering how it works on a twist style like the Cigar, I would assume that it should work with a Bolt Action type transmission. Extend the bolt to extend the lead and retract the bolt to grip the lead for writing.

For only $3.00 it might be worth a try. You can get the 2006 model (plastic) on Exotic Blanks. I think Ed also carries the Schmidt DSM 2007 (metal) version for just a little more, but the last time I checked they were out of stock.

Regards,
Dave

PS On the Cigar conversions I made (picture of set below), I also swapped out the Double-Action twist transmission with a Single-Action transmission. Although the Double-Action will work, it is not as intuitive for use with the Schmidt pencil converter. (Ed over at Exotic Blanks sells the Single-Action Cigar Transmissions also - they come in a 5-pack for $4.95).

IMG_1013 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Drewby108

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does the twist push new lead out if it has a limited range of motion? Or do you twist open, let the lead fall out to the desired length, and then close it back up?

egnald

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does the twist push new lead out if it has a limited range of motion? Or do you twist open, let the lead fall out to the desired length, and then close it back up?
Mechanical pencils work by passing the lead through a collet.

When pressing the plunger down, the collet draws the lead out for a short distance before the collet releases the lead. At this point when the collet is released, the lead has been extended a short distance. With the collet released, in most mechanisms, the internal friction is enough to overcome gravity, thus preventing the lead from just falling out. However at this point the lead can be manually pulled out farther or can be pushed back in because it has been released by the collet.

Releasing the plunger, the collet starts to retract (while it is still not gripping the lead) until it (the collet) is once again compressed causing it to grip the lead. In this "normal" position, the collet is closed down on the lead allowing writing pressure to keep from pushing it back in.

Twisting the transmission one direction provides the same internal motion as pressing a plunger (click mechanism) down and holding it down. Likewise, twisting the transmission back to it's "non-extended" position provides the same internal motion as releasing the plunger (click mechanism) to allow it to come back up. I assume the same internal motion occurs when the bolt of a bolt action pen is pressed down and then returned back up.

Dave

Last edited:

Drewby108

Mechanical pencils work by passing the lead through a collet.

When pressing the plunger down, the collet draws the lead out for a short distance before the collet releases the lead. At this point when the collet is released, the lead has been extended a short distance. Also at this point the lead can be manually pulled out farther or can be pushed back in because it has been released by the collet.

Releasing the plunger, the collet starts to retract (while it is still not gripping the lead) until it (the collet) is once again compressed causing it to grip the lead. In this "normal" position, the collet is closed down on the lead allowing writing pressure to keep from pushing it back in.

Twisting the transmission one direction provides the same internal motion as pressing a plunger (click mechanism) down and holding it down. Likewise, twisting the transmission back to it's "non-extended" position provides the same internal motion as releasing the plunger (click mechanism) to allow it to come back up.

Dave
I learned something today, and it's only 7 am. Thank you

Top Bottom