Bolt Action Tec

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

This is more to share what I've learned more than what I've made. Now that I've finished it I wish I would've taken a little extra time turning. Several years ago I turned lots of deer antler. I wasted tons trying to drill with a pen vise. I've read here a few times about drilling on the lather holding the blank with pliers to get a better idea of where the holes going to be since the antler is usually curved or egg shaped. The drill method was awesome. Should've known that trick when I first started. Anyway while turning smoke or dust was coming from the bark area so in knew it was paper thin. I was worried about it cracking or chipping out when turning. That's why I stopped when I did so I could see how the rest would go. When I engrave pens or round objects I use a roller rotary. Since the bark or flat spot would be on the bottom I was worried about the pen rocking while being engraved. When I finished sanding and polishing I thought it looked decent and should've risked scraping it for a smoother looking pen. Now that I've tried all that I'll have to try another one with a better outcome in mind. All Questions and Comments are Welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpeg
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4224.jpeg
    IMG_4224.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 66
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I make a lot of deer antler pens, and I always drill the holes using a pair of vice grips and make a dimple on each end of the antler so I know where the drill bit is going to come out. I have had great success doing it this way.

Kenny Durrant

I make a lot of deer antler pens, and I always drill the holes using a pair of vice grips and make a dimple on each end of the antler so I know where the drill bit is going to come out. I have had great success doing it this way.
I agree this is the best way. Just as easy as using a drill press. I'll probably use this method on some wood as well.

sorcerertd

The engraving came out fantastic. I've only done one antler pen thus far, but it was easier to work with than I had expected. Drilling definitely required finesse, but that dimple the ends and drill on the lathe worked out great for me.

Top Bottom