Bolt action pen and pencil set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dogrunner

dogrunner

I think they turned out nice
IMG_20191019_114438070.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hbillings

Having tried something similar, I have questions. I have turned pens with metal components, but none as intricate as these. Also, my success rate is about 33% of my attempts (I actually might be generous with that estimate).
  • Which glue are you using for the segments?
  • How do you square up the green segments to ensure perfect alignment?
  • For the green segments, do you glue these up on the tube after positioning your center piece, or did you build the entire blank first and then drill?
  • I assume the metal is aluminum - anything special about it?
  • How do you turn this without blowing it up?
Thanks in advance!

dogrunner

I use stick fast medium ca.
To center on the tube. I'll turn the blank round put a mark on the center of the knot and measure from the center to each end of the blank and make sure the distance is equal. You will need to figure out how thick you want your end caps cut equal amounts off the blank. Glue your tube in the blank with a set of calipers set the tube so it's sticking out of the blank equal amounts on each side
The other way I do it center the knot on the blank and trime the blank so it the same length as the tube. Glue the tube in the blank and use a parting tool to remove the excess blank to make room for the end caps.
I use aluminum card flashing.
I use 5 min expoxy to glue the tubes in. As far as blow ups go iv only had on come apart and I used ca to glue that tube in. Hope this makes sense
Here's a couple more
Effect_20161126_133524.jpg
Effect_20160719_204134.jpg
DSCN0411_1_1_1_2.JPG

Last edited:

dogrunner

Having tried something similar, I have questions. I have turned pens with metal components, but none as intricate as these. Also, my success rate is about 33% of my attempts (I actually might be generous with that estimate).
  • For the green segments, do you glue these up on the tube after positioning your center piece, or did you build the entire blank first and then drill?
Thanks in advance!
Hop
Thanks in advance!
hope it makes sense

hbillings

I'm sorry - I've been refreshing the page to see if I had a notification that you replied but somehow missed that you replied on Monday. Thank you VERY MUCH for the information. Your pens are gorgeous and I plan to try your technique as soon as I get through the holiday sales season.

Top Bottom