Bolt action cap won't move!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I moved to bolt handle to the B position according to instructions and need to move the clip to the other slot. I can't budge the blamed cap! Must have been put on with a pipe wrench. The wife tried a rubber jar lid pad. Nothing. I watched the video on PSI and it looked so easy. I don't want to damage the cap. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I bought a pair of pliers that have smooth plastic jaws. I got tired of scratching and marring pen parts. If I remember correctly they were jewelers pliers. Inexpensive and worth the wait.

Woodchipper

Good idea. Where did you get them? Will put it on the list. Went downstairs to try again. The jar opener pad was too slick. I have a piece of bicycle unner tube cut lengthways. Slipped it over the cap, got a grip and it came lose.

egnald

I am a "firm" believer in the PSI "Soft Jaw Barrel Gripper". It can be used by hand or in conjunction with a vise. Works great and allows more precision pressure than the "Vise Grip" style. - Dave

duncsuss

I have 3 tools:

- the PSI vise grips mentioned - which I like because I can set a limit to how much squeeze they exert
- mechanics spark-plug pliers, which have what looks to be the same rubbery coating on the jaws as the PSI vise grips, they are oriented differently giving a different angle of attack (I use them a lot to unscrew clip finials that have 1/4" or less to grip)
- a golf club shaft grip tool - a block of rubber with a hole for the shaft and slots to allow squeeze

Top Bottom