Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Second attempt with 5000 year old Bog Oak. This piece seemed to have 5000 year old woodworm but filled the hole.
I decided to make the Pen chunky and left it in a sanded condition no finish at all. Last time I applied a polish and it didn't seem to suit.
Please give me your comments good or bad they all help.

Attachments

• IMG20230628145822.jpg
    IMG20230628145822.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG20230628145804.jpg
    IMG20230628145804.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 128
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

Interesting build. There are no bogs here in the colonies . Is the oak nearly petrified or kind of soft ?
As for a finish it would benefit I think from the boiled linseed oil / CA finish method especially for filling those 5000 year old worm holes.
The second thought would be some Cactus Juice. YouTube links below.

BOL & CA finish
Cactus Juice on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cactus+juice+wood+stabilizer
calabrese55

Kcimdrib

Interesting build. There are no bogs here in the colonies . Is the oak nearly petrified or kind of soft ?
As for a finish it would benefit I think from the boiled linseed oil / CA finish method especially for filling those 5000 year old worm holes.
The second thought would be some Cactus Juice. YouTube links below.

BOL & CA finish
Cactus Juice on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cactus+juice+wood+stabilizer
calabrese55
First thanks for you reply and your comments interest me. As I said in my comments shiny finishes don't seem to suit the wood. CA makes it look artificial and I'm not a fan anymore of CA. I much prefer Friction Polish or Melamine followed by Microcrystaline was. The wood is very soft. I have experimented with Guilding Cream and Liming Wax I didn't like either.
But that's just my preference.

derekdd

Love the history and the look.

If the wood is soft and has voids, I'd echo the cactus juice recommendation. Otherwise, I'd have a bottle of thin CA handy as i turned it to keep it together by soaking periodically and fill voids with the thin CA and dust coming off the timber. Finish as you prefer.

I wish you luck with it!

Kcimdrib

Love the history and the look.

If the wood is soft and has voids, I'd echo the cactus juice recommendation. Otherwise, I'd have a bottle of thin CA handy as i turned it to keep it together by soaking periodically and fill voids with the thin CA and dust coming off the timber. Finish as you prefer.

I wish you luck with it!
Thank you. Cactus Juice seems like something I would order in bar in Texas. Don't think its available in the Uk.
But thanks anyway.

derekdd

Thank you. Cactus Juice seems like something I would order in bar in Texas. Don't think its available in the Uk.
But thanks anyway.
LOL!

You aren't far from the truth. The company that makes it, TurnTex, is in Texas.

keithbyrd

I love turning Bog oak. I generally finish it with a shiny CA finish just because I want it to look more professional. You can tone a shine CA finish down by going through the micro mesh and then using a mid range grit MM to bring the shine down.
To me Bog Oak is a historical, it is wood with a story and it deserves something special. I don't think I would use it for a slimline - would choose something more upscale - Statesman line, Cambridge, Majestic etc.
You did a nice job on the pen so please don't take my comments as critical of your work.

Kcimdrib

I love turning Bog oak. I generally finish it with a shiny CA finish just because I want it to look more professional. You can tone a shine CA finish down by going through the micro mesh and then using a mid range grit MM to bring the shine down.
To me Bog Oak is a historical, it is wood with a story and it deserves something special. I don't think I would use it for a slimline - would choose something more upscale - Statesman line, Cambridge, Majestic etc.
You did a nice job on the pen so please don't take my comments as critical of your work.
I thank you for your comments and that's what IAP is about.

egnald

So it's two fingers of Cactus Juice barman.
This is so true. In my refrigerator I have a bottle of alcohol called "Cactus Juice". It is a lime margarita kind of schnapps. In the same refrigerator I have a bottle of TurnTex "Cactus Juice" resin. I wrote all over the bottle with a permenant marker jst to make sure nobody in the house would get them confused and pour themselves two fingers of the wrong one. - Dave :)

Alan Morrison

Michael, interesting comments about how to treat Bog Oak.
I, like you, prefer Bog Oak to look like Bog Oak and allow it to show it's age.
The only time I would use CA glue would be to stabilise the fissures whilst turning.
The Bog Oak that I get here is akin to turning a lump of coal. Maybe Irish Bog Oak has had a lot harder a life than your soft English stuff!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
"...shiny finishes don't seem to suit the wood. CA makes it look artificial and I'm not a fan anymore of CA. I much prefer Friction Polish or Melamine followed by Microcrystaline ."

I agree. I have a bog oak pen about 11 years ago turned, USA Stainless Steel KIt, looks like the day it was assembled.. NO finish other than burnishing with shavings. It has some scratches, a few small dulling spots, but looks wonderful! To me it looks like what Bog Oak should be.

Kcimdrib

"...shiny finishes don't seem to suit the wood. CA makes it look artificial and I'm not a fan anymore of CA. I much prefer Friction Polish or Melamine followed by Microcrystaline ."

I agree. I have a bog oak pen about 11 years ago turned, USA Stainless Steel KIt, looks like the day it was assembled.. NO finish other than burnishing with shavings. It has some scratches, a few small dulling spots, but looks wonderful! To me it looks like what Bog Oak should be.
I agree I like all of my Pens to have a natural feel and appearance that's why I have stopped using CA. I agree some Turner's love it but not for me.
On most Pens it's Sanding Sealer, Friction Polish or Melamine Laquer followed by Microcrystalline wax to protect it.
I rarely use Acrylic blanks but try to use lots of different types of wood.
We are all individual and through the IAP can learn from each other.

Jans husband

This is so true. In my refrigerator I have a bottle of alcohol called "Cactus Juice". It is a lime margarita kind of schnapps. In the same refrigerator I have a bottle of TurnTex "Cactus Juice" resin. I wrote all over the bottle with a permenant marker jst to make sure nobody in the house would get them confused and pour themselves two fingers of the wrong one. - Dave :)
Good idea to keep them seperate Dave.
Don't want to be embalmed before it's necessary!!
Although with some of the drinks I have been offered they may both have the same effect.
We used to call such drinks "gut rot",
Mike

sorcerertd

It looks great. I agree that it is best left more natural. I've done a couple bog oak pens with a shiny CA finish and find that it loses it's character. Most recently, I've just used a couple coats of thin CA to seal it, then burnish it a bit with a towel. I did finally try pens plus and really like that, but I should try some of the other methods noted here.

Top Bottom