Bog Oak Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcreasey

jcreasey

IMG_6090.jpeg

Today I made this mechanical pencil from Ukranian bog oak and stainless steel. The mechanism is from a pentel Orenz 0.7mm pencil.

The wood is somewhere between 1000 to 7000 years old. I just find that amazing.

I made it for my friend's 60th birthday which is coming up in a few weeks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcreasey

That's really nice! Did you machine the parts (other than the mechanism) or is that something available for retail purchase?
Thankyou!
I machined all the parts. The clip was the hardest but I brazed a piece of stainless to a sacrificial piece of mild steel so I could get at it from the side and it worked out ok. The body is made of two parts that screw together. That's not really necessary but it made pressing the wood onto the tube a bit easier. I just pressed it on. I didn't bother with any glue as it was quite a tight fit. I didnt originally plan to put the little stainless cap on the top just above the clip but the top body was brass and it looked bad poking throug the end so I bored it out a bit and made a little cap that I glued into the end. After I cleaned it up to be octagonal and gave it a nice chamfer I think it's my favourite feature of the design. Funny how those accidents often end up turning out great! Another reason (aside from being lazy) that I never use plans.

Top Bottom