Bog Oak Nouveu Sceptrer with Tryzub from Ukraine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

Hi guys.

Haven't been here for a while, since Bash actually. Haven't made much pens since then, experiencing "almost war time" and parting with my GF (4 years together).
It is now really tough to go and do a pen. But I try to recover, so this is one of my last works - commisioned pen with National Symbol of Ukraine - Tryzub (mmm spells allmost like tree-zoob but a bit different, you know:))

Ancient Ukrainian Bog Oak (around 2000yrs old) compliment kit, style and Ukrainian theme.

It was new process for me - I cut the engravings with my new laser (cheapest chineese, which I got for $1000 with delivery from China) and filled with epoxy and brass pigment. It was fun (and bought me a quater of that laser engraver!:))

Anyway, I hope you like it:)
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9599.jpg
    DSC_9599.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC_9598.jpg
    DSC_9598.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_9603.jpg
    DSC_9603.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_9604.jpg
    DSC_9604.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That looks great!

I also love the more "rustic" look of the pen. I suspect it feel like WOOD and not PLASTIC! Which I prefer. I vote for a great wood, vs acrylic.

Also... I've actually been thinking of you and how you are doing with the political/military situation. My oldest son just came back (sent back) from a Teacher's Exchange in the Republic of Georgia. It was very stressful with the shift in Government in Georgia last year.

Hope you stay well and keep ahead of the turmoil!

Mark

OZturner

Great Pen, Yaroslaw.
Beautiful Bog Oak, Ideally matched to the Nouveu Sceptrer.
Keep safe, our thought are with you.
Have missed not seeing your work.
Brian.

SteveG

You did a fine job with that pen, and in particular the choice of and execution on the finish. That seems to me to be the perfect fish for this ancient bog oak. As I read the title to your thread, I pictured the pen in my mind and had the thought that this may not be the best match of wood to kit. I was sure wrong. The wood and components compliment each other very well. Great effort!

I hope you stay safe in a violent region of this world.

yaroslaw

Thanks for kind words. Actually, it looks more rustik on photo then in real life, but I prefer this finish for BO (and I make a lot of pens of it). It is just sanding along the grain with SIA soft sanding pads (3M has same things but coarser grits) - 500, 800, 1000, 1500 (last two - just in case I'm not lazy:)). Few coats of walnut oil afterwards and it is done.

jyreene

Amazing pens Yaro. And humbling that such a great pen can be made in such an environment. Thoughts and prayers are with you and Ukraine. This is right up there with your cable damascus pen.

Russknan

Like the rugged, MANLY look of that pen. Perfect for an old piece of wood from a tough part of the world. Keep your head down. We need you around! Russ PS: Sorry about the GF, too.

plano_harry

Yaro, I was just thinking about sending you a PM today to see how you were doing and then saw your post. Glad to know you are safe and hope you will keep turning. That titanium Bash pen was amazing!

Praying for your protection.

Oh, yeah, this pen - love it! I think I will try your oil finish on my next one. Very nice the way it all works together. Glad it brought a good price!

Last edited:

PR_Princess

Yaro, I am thankful to see that you are safe and back to work in your shop. I have sorely missed both you and your posts here.

But I can think of no better way you could make a re introduction of sorts than by showing this wonderful Ukrainian Bog Oak pen! And also introducing us to your new toy to boot! I hope that means that we will be graced by seeing many more of your works soon!! :)

Also, I have to say that researching your National Symbol, the Tryzub, I learned something new today - Thank you!!!

yaroslaw

Thanks for kind words, friends:)
I plan to go to Europe on vacation and hopefully on return have much more energy to continue with our craft/art :)

Top Bottom