Bock #6 section

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

Hello,
Does someone here have a technical drawing they are willing to share of their custom Bock #6 section, that accepts the Bock #6 nib housing?

I know I should drill with a 7.3mm drill bit for the housing thread, and probably with a little smaller diameter bit through the entire section, so the ink converter can pass.

But although I got the housing drawings I'm little confused about what diameter drill bits to use for all the housing's 'steps' so that the section will grab the housing firmly.

Thank you very much,
Amihai Fishman.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

Floatslow posted a write-up called "Fountain Pen Drill Chart" that might help you out. I personally have not worked with a Bock 250 nib yet, but plan on consulting this post when I do.

Valleyboy

I just re-read your question properly so I've removed my previous answer! (I couldn't find a way to delete it).

Cheers
Ash

Last edited:

Valleyboy

So (I'm writing from memory here) 7.3mm is the correct diameter for the threads and is wide enough for the standard converter. The trick is to make sure that the nib housing screws far enough into the section for the converter to be able to reach it from the other end.

For the other stepped diameters you need to allow around 0.1 or 0.2mm tolerance (depending on how accurate your concentricity is).

And that's really it.

Cheers
Ash

rherrell

Here's what I have if you can read it!!
Bock 250 (#6).jpg
IMG_9403.JPG
IMG_9404.JPG

duncsuss

Be very careful if you are going to purchase a tap for the Bock #6 nib units.

The specification is NOT the standard "D4" tap style, it's a very non-standard "D20" specification.

I bought a D20 tap (the kind that works) from PenRealm.com

Amihai

Be very careful if you are going to purchase a tap for the Bock #6 nib units.

The specification is NOT the standard "D4" tap style, it's a very non-standard "D20" specification.

I bought a D20 tap (the kind that works) from PenRealm.com
What are "D4" and "D20" taps you're referring to? I just purchased a M7.9×0.6 tap?.. Is that some sort of imperial measurement? I'm not from the United States.

duncsuss

What are "D4" and "D20" taps you're referring to? I just purchased a M7.9×0.6 tap?.. Is that some sort of imperial measurement? I'm not from the United States.
I'm far from expert in this, but what I believe is the D4 and D20 specify how much above and below the nominal values (M7.9x0.6) the peaks and valleys go.

The Bock #6 nib housing seems to be "over sized" - it will not fit in the section if it was tapped with a standard M7.9x0.6 tap. (Unless you get a matching die, and chase the threads on the nib housing).

There was a Group Buy of taps and dies that included tools for Bock #6, but nobody at the time realized there was a distinction.

I think it was member RobS who explained the error to me - and recommended getting the tap from PenRealm.com - there might be other vendors who stock the correct tap now.

Top Bottom