Bobbers for fishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jrich7970

jrich7970

So, this seems simple enough...but I wonder what type of wood would be good to use, what type of finish to keep it waterproof, how I get the finish inside, etc.

Would I paint it, or make it out of several different types of wood? Would that work?

Has anyone ever made one?

1605226510015.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I've never made one but I'd look at balsa to start with. They sell lure kits you might look into what that contains. As far as a finish maybe epoxy paint. I'd like to see what you come up with.

jrich7970

A little research (yeah, I should have done that before I posted) says balsa. But I think I'll try all sorts of stuff. I *assume* (but I might be wrong), that I can run balsa through a lathe without destroying it. It's a very lightweight and delicate wood.

I probably wouldn't use CA, I'd probably get it super smooth and use a poly. After I painted it, of course. I like the idea of epoxy paint.

This will be, of course, a Christmas present. Already gave the guy a pen a for his birthday. Ha ha.

Pinkster

So, this seems simple enough...but I wonder what type of wood would be good to use, what type of finish to keep it waterproof, how I get the finish inside, etc.

Would I paint it, or make it out of several different types of wood? Would that work?

Has anyone ever made one?

View attachment 290536
This is my 'other thing'!
Balsa or Cork is the material to use.
Any paint can be used,,,, acrylic, emulsion,,, anything. I used a waterborne flooring lacquer but polyurethane varnish is another one.
IMG_20201106_221132.jpg
IMG_20191110_001527.jpg
IMG_20190514_191957.jpg
IMG_20190421_183617.jpg

jrich7970

Those look beautiful!

So...I am searching all over the d@mn place for balsa, and these crappy search engines keep on surfacing BASSWOOD. If I wanted basswood, I would have asked for basswood. I think I might be able to get it at Hobby Lobby. Where do you get it? And also, where do you get cork?

And I see you're in Scotland...so, if you get them locally, it wouldn't help me much. Ha ha.

Pinkster

Those look beautiful!

So...I am searching all over the d@mn place for balsa, and these crappy search engines keep on surfacing BASSWOOD. If I wanted basswood, I would have asked for basswood. I think I might be able to get it at Hobby Lobby. Where do you get it? And also, where do you get cork?

And I see you're in Scotland...so, if you get them locally, it wouldn't help me much. Ha ha.
Yeah, sorry. I buy balsa in bulk from a UK hobby supplier.
Cork, ebay. It all comes from Portugal anyway so you should be able to get it no problem.
I buy 1/2" x 1 1/4" Flor Grade Cork rings and laminate them using polyurethane glue, that way you can build up to the length you need then cut down to size.

Look at this on eBay

howsitwork

Lime will work .

For Balsa look at any Radio control model kit store . Although there has been a big move towards ARTF , "almost ready to fly " kits . Many traditionalists still like to build from plans using balsa etc.

howsitwork

Ole

Thats the sort of site to look on

I just thank heavens that the postal costs are enough to make me shopping there out of the question or I would have to start hiding purchases from my wife even more carefully !!😆😆

jrich7970

Ole

Thats the sort of site to look on

I just thank heavens that the postal costs are enough to make me shopping there out of the question or I would have to start hiding purchases from my wife even more carefully !!😆😆

Upon examining those shipping prices, I would have to agree. Their shipping prices are ridiculous.

I opted for basswood for my bobbers. Not that I have started them yet. :)

jrich7970

I've made quite a few bobbers, all slip bobber style. Some weighted, some not. I use basswood for all of mine.

View attachment 290642

View attachment 290643

These are awesome! So, do you drill all the way through for these? I mean, you have to, right? On some of the smaller in diameter ones, are they wood, or do you use something else like coffee stirrers or something?

MiteyF

These are awesome! So, do you drill all the way through for these? I mean, you have to, right? On some of the smaller in diameter ones, are they wood, or do you use something else like coffee stirrers or something?

I drill all the way through with an extra long #30 drill bit, then insert a 1/8" plastic tube, and add a bunch of thin CA at either end to hold it in place. The tube that I use I usually pick up at RC/hobby shops for use as antenna tubes, but I've used styrene tube too. Coffee straws may be another idea I hadn't thought about!

Top Bottom