boar tusk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan S

Hey there,
Here's an odd one, or at least I think it's odd. A co-worker asked me to make a pen from boar tusks. It seems that a close friend of her families is a professional hunter and she thinks this would be a spiffy gift.
Is this possible? Any information would be helpful.

Take care,
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

as I understand, Boar tusk is more "hairy" than a solid horn, if that makes any sense. But yes, Pictures of the tusk, or one similar to it, would be helpful. You *might* be able to stabilize it as well, if you had the hardware.

Akula

might be able to use it as inlay....they are hollow

here are some cut and cleaned

Attachments

• hollow.jpg
    hollow.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,163

Dan S

OK that awnsers that question. I had no idea they were that thin. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about ruining an expensive tusk. Thank for the help everyone!
Dan

mrburls

Hi Dan, Yes you can make a pen out of wild boar tusk. If the tusks are large enough you will find the lower end half is solid and two tusks will do an upper and a lower barrel. I did a Imperial fountain pen just a few months ago for a customer and he shows it off to all his clients.

Keith "mrburls"

plantman

OK that awnsers that question. I had no idea they were that thin. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about ruining an expensive tusk. Thank for the help everyone!
Dan

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Dan; If I had to use a boar's tusk to make a pen, this would be my approach. Select a two barrell twist pen kit. Use a smaller tusk with a lot of curl. Cut the tusk down to 1 1/2 to 2 inches at an angle that will match your lower pen barrel. Drill a hole in a piece of Ebony to fit the tube from your top barrel. Now carve the piece of ebony to fit into the bottom of the tusk abour 1/2 to 3/4 inch depending on the curl. Remember to leave the Ebony proud of the tenon on the tusk for now. This will require trial and error because the tusk is not perfectly round. Slip the tusk on and set it down with the lower blank and deside what length will look balanced. Cut on the long side. !! Remove the tusk. Glue your tube into the Ebony and cut off whatever is sticking out. Now you can turn your blanks down to size on the lathe. Allow enough wood on the tusk side to make a smooth transition to the odd shape of the tusk. This you will have to do by hand. Finish and glue the tusk onto the top Ebony blank. A nice brass band or a ring cut from the base of the tusk might look good at the joint of the top and bottom blanks. You could also use camo or some dark exotic wood. Look in my photos to see some antlers and horn tips I used to make pens and desk sets. Usualy the problem you run into with a boar tusk is that the tusk is so big around on a trophey boar that it's hard to make a ballanced looking pen out of it. That's why I suggest using the curl on the end. This will truely make a one of a kind pen, as I have never seen anyone use a boar's tusk to make a pen. Or, as Keith said above, if the tusks a large enough, you may be able to get two blanks out of the bottoms of both tusks. Good Luck !! Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom