Blue towels are not all the same!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

If you use blue towels to apply CA glue when finishing pens buy Scott blue towels. They are larger, softer and don't smoke when CA is applied. They have less off gassing too which makes the job less onerous. If your towels have a blue green tinge- buy some Scott towels and never look back.

If you use another method and are happy, great.

Attachments

• 97C5B4A1-200A-4C52-BAF0-C5A58CA88D2F.jpeg
    97C5B4A1-200A-4C52-BAF0-C5A58CA88D2F.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

henry1164

I stopped using blue towels for CA application because of fiber issues. I started using foam pads from the craft section in Walmart. They don't absorb as much CA so you waste less and give you a very even application of the CA in my opinion.
Can you give me a link to this item? Sounds very productive and safe. Do these pads spread the CA smoother? Thanks.

elyk864

Can you give me a link to this item? Sounds very productive and safe. Do these pads spread the CA smoother? Thanks.
There is no color bleed to worry about also, from my experience they spread the CA much more evenly.

I cut them into strips that make it easy to hold. I'll use one side, let it dry flip it around and use the other end, etc.

PreacherJon

"They have less off gassing..." Wow... I thought that was me. 🤔

Appreciate the tip, I use the blue shop towels for over a decade. I know... there is a brand out there that just sizzles when you use it... can't remember which one... but I know it by its packaging.

mmayo

"They have less off gassing..." Wow... I thought that was me. 🤔

Appreciate the tip, I use the blue shop towels for over a decade. I know... there is a brand out there that just sizzles when you use it... can't remember which one... but I know it by its packaging.
And the color. See greenish tinge and skip it.

egnald

Hello all - I am just compelled to add my 2-cents worth on the topic. My regimen still uses my favorite and best working paper towel applicator (for me anyway), the "Viva Vantage" which was discontinued about a year ago. I still have a couple of rolls. It is more stretchy than a typical paper towel, sort of like the stretchiness of the blue shop towels. I always cut them into pieces with scissors to prevent any loose fibers caused by tearing. I also fold them into applicator pads so that the cut edges are buried in the fold - again to prevent any potential loose fibers. I'm going to have to try the "Viva Signature Cloth" and "Scott Blue Shop Towels" when I finally run out of my precious Viva Vantage I guess.

In any case, here are my words of advice: Find something that works well for you and then be brand loyal and stock up because you never know when the manufacturer is going to discontinue it or change something.

Dave

PS I tried the closed cell foam that was mentioned previously for about 6-months, but found it to be less consistent in application and frequently causing a rough or irregular surface that required more aggressive sanding and all of the complications that come with it. Obviously with the success that others have had using closed cell foam (or small plastic bags, etc.) it has as much to do with applicator (personal technique and regimen) as it does with the applicator (material used).

Top Bottom