Blue Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

I haven't used a kit for a little while but I enjoyed this one.

A couple of years ago I made my first ever pen-related project. It was a pencil for me to use in my workshop. Unfortunately I used a sandy coloured fake snake-skin blank, which happens to be an excellent camouflage against pretty much everything else on my bench, and I can never find it.

So I decided to make another pencil, using a nice bright piece of vintage cellulose acetate I had hanging around.

I used a "Workshop Sketch Pencil" kit from Turners Retreat (GB). I disposed of the internal tubes and some of the trimmings and just used the clutch mechanism and the chrome top and tail. I did consider making my own but I like the chrome effect against this blue material.

In terms of assembly, there is a threaded part to the mechanism, so I tapped the cellulose to accept it (M10x0.5). It was actually a very simple project that only took about an hour to make. Most of that was sanding and polishing

I really love using it. It's short and chunky and, what's more, I can usually find it on my bench, which is a bonus.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_3323.jpegIMG_3325.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really like projects that are ...'just for my use.' Ash, this is very nice - enjoy and well done.

Top Bottom