Blue Flames in PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fiferb

I spray painted the tubes white and applied the pinewood derby decals. Cast in PR. The paint crinkled on one end and the long decals wrinkled in the same spot on both. Some of the tips of the flames curled up. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it in the future? Thanks for the help.

2007101015721_Blue%20Flame.jpg

2007101015821_Blue%20Flame%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
probably the heat of the curing acrylic. I would try hitting the labels with a coat of dewaxed-shellac before casting it. That is what someone else did when their labels were peeling up on their casts.

GK

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Glad to see you finally got into casting. Is this the first? Welcome aboard. Sorry haven't seen this one before. Could be the heat from curing the PR. You could try a little less catalyst and more time. Still guessing but maybe the decals need to sit on the paint longer before casting. Keep trying more things and you will find the solution.

stevers

What Greg and Bruce say, less catalyst and make sure the labels are layed down good. Try not to touch the ends of the flames, keep the oil from your fingers off the delicate tips of the flames. Even the shellac idea may help.

Awesome idea anyway. Cool pen. I'll bet bikers and hot rodders would love that one.

johncrane

Very nice pen Bruce l really like the flames! also another way is too spray the stickers with a (clear plastic under coat) this will seal the stickers before casting it comes in a spray pack can and cost about $10 bucks here from the auto shops.

rhahnfl

When I used to build models, we had a special liquid to paint over the decals to help set and seal them. Can't remember what it was called... decal set seems to easy. Might see if a hobby shop still sells that.

fiferb

Thanks for all the suggestions. A little more explanation may help. The decals are not the same as the ones you normally find with a model car or airplane. In other words, you don't dip them in water then slide them onto the "model". These were rub on stickers that were on a piece of paper, rub over the decal and it lets loose of the paper and attaches to tube. Perhaps I didn't rub it on thoroughly. It could have been the oil from fingers lifting the ends of the flame.

I like the idea of spraying it with something first. I'll have to try that next time.

As far as catalyst, I don't think I used too much. If anything, I used too little as it took over a week to harden and I had to cut it out of the mold. I used the Wal-Mart ice cube trays.

Thanks for the comments. I hae some red flames left over. I'll have to try another.

By the way, my customer bought this pen. They were very happy with it as it was, regardless of the problems.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
EXPERIMENT: I HAVE NOT TRIED IT!!!

What about decoupage glue over the tube and decal?? That should protect it from the chemical reaction and heat in PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom