Blue and white casein and elm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ant JE

Well, I promised not to be the new guy who posted an intro then never posted again, so here is pen I have been working on over the weekend.

The clip is glued top to bottom so not functioning as a clip, rather as a technical challenge and to stop the pen rolling.

I'm really comfortable with any critique - all comments welcome.

Attachments

• 666E7DF5-7DE3-4603-B50C-18057F7E3A87.jpeg
    666E7DF5-7DE3-4603-B50C-18057F7E3A87.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 293
  • B82A747E-57C5-465F-AA03-B10CD27E00D8.jpeg
    B82A747E-57C5-465F-AA03-B10CD27E00D8.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Hey Tony, I love your first offering, very original.

Was about to ask how the clip was secured but reread your post and saw you had covered it.

In the first pic, it looks like the section isn't screwed on as far as it should be, a small gap there.

Are the blue blue pieces Elm, as well as the brown bits ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I admired this on the UK site; thanks for posting it here as well.

Superb combination of materials, profile and precision. A very unique work. Well done. 👍

Stay healthy. 😷

Ant JE

Thanks Brad,

Yes; the section isn't screw on properly (rather than not having a proper thread cut) though there are definitely a few elements that I am not fully happy with. For example; the wood join with the casein is not clean nor is the gluing for 'clip' to the cap.

The blue pieces are cut offs from a Conway Stewart Blue blank had left over. On the picture the blue doesn't come out so well but close up its smashing!

darrin1200

Very nice rollstop design Tony.
Is that true casein or alternate casein. If it is real casein, I have a question.

I am working on a project right now, but I'm using the alternate while I work out the kinks. I found out, that the alternate is somewhat translucent, so you can see the purple tenons I used to connect the alumilite and the casein. Is real casein also translucent?

Ant JE

Hi Darrin,

To my knowledge it is true Casein - certainly it was sold as such. To answer your question directly, I don't see any translucency in the material but suspect that there would be a little if I cut it thinly enough.

....Just to add, the white blank is Casein. I know that the Blue material is Conway Stewart but not sure what material.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Thanks. I am going to try inverting the tenons on the next one. I'm just concerned with the section end, keeping the tenon big enough for the section threads, but not be affected by the cap threads. The picture shows the current prototype. Ignore the section, I have to remake it a litte bigger.

image.jpg

Ant JE

Hi Darrin, Nice pen - I think I can see what you mean about translucency. Don't hold me to it but you shouldn't have that issue with true Casein

Ironwood

Thanks Brad,

Yes; the section isn't screw on properly (rather than not having a proper thread cut) though there are definitely a few elements that I am not fully happy with. For example; the wood join with the casein is not clean nor is the gluing for 'clip' to the cap.

The blue pieces are cut offs from a Conway Stewart Blue blank had left over. On the picture the blue doesn't come out so well but close up its smashing!
Hi Tony, glad to hear it just wasn't screwed home fully, nothing serious.

Ah, I obviously didn't read your post properly . I had assumed the blue bits were Elm dyed blue, now I finally understand.
It's an impressive looking pen, well done.

Top Bottom