Blown up blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabericks

Hey guys, need your input. I was just turning a blank from a Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta Braves) and there may have been a bit of rot or something and it split/flew apart right at the point of final turning. I lost a small piece 1/16 x 1/2. I can easily put it back together but they're still a little Gap. I don't mind finishing it with some character but does anybody have any suggestions on how I can fill that Gap? It's about as wide as two toothpicks beside each other at about half an inch long.
Whatever the defect in the wood, it's going to actually look very unique and beautiful on the second piece that I was able to safely turn, some encouraged to try to find a way to salvage the first piece that blew apart. Thanks
20200616_213029.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Even though you are looking for a filler, I will mention something else: Blow outs. It happens with different kinds of wood and with segments and with thin blanks. The problem is not the thin blanks, or with segments or even spalted wood (similar to rot), the problem is the way it is attached. I'm guessing you used CA. CA holds at different points but not the whole blank along the tube. Epoxy is better than CA but it too can have blowouts. Polyurethane glue is best with spalt, delicate blanks and others. It holds for the whole length of the tube.

You may have comments from a few who use CA and say they have never had a blowout with CA. That will be true but they also have exceptional experience.

Look at the inside and you can see where the CA held tight and where it did not adhere at all. CA and even epoxy does not adhere to 100% between the tube and blank. Don't blame the rotted wood, look at the glue adhesion spots.

Mongo44

Hey guys, need your input. I was just turning a blank from a Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta Braves) and there may have been a bit of rot or something and it split/flew apart right at the point of final turning. I lost a small piece 1/16 x 1/2. I can easily put it back together but they're still a little Gap. I don't mind finishing it with some character but does anybody have any suggestions on how I can fill that Gap? It's about as wide as two toothpicks beside each other at about half an inch long.
Whatever the defect in the wood, it's going to actually look very unique and beautiful on the second piece that I was able to safely turn, some encouraged to try to find a way to salvage the first piece that blew apart. ThanksView attachment 240931

This might not work depending on the pen your making, but a similar situation just happened to me. I had a comfort kit laying around, and decided to use the grip from that kit to salvage my blank. Just turned down to the tubes to fit the grip, and continued on. Although this won't allow you to display all of this beautiful blank it might be an easy way to make something cool out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Gabericks

Even though you are looking for a filler, I will mention something else: Blow outs. It happens with different kinds of wood and with segments and with thin blanks. The problem is not the thin blanks, or with segments or even spalted wood (similar to rot), the problem is the way it is attached. I'm guessing you used CA. CA holds at different points but not the whole blank along the tube. Epoxy is better than CA but it too can have blowouts. Polyurethane glue is best with spalt, delicate blanks and others. It holds for the whole length of the tube.

You may have comments from a few who use CA and say they have never had a blowout with CA. That will be true but they also have exceptional experience.

Look at the inside and you can see where the CA held tight and where it did not adhere at all. CA and even epoxy does not adhere to 100% between the tube and blank. Don't blame the rotted wood, look at the glue adhesion spots.
You are right! I didn't know that my ca was not adhering all over because I'm never seen the inside of my glued blank - until now! Shocked, 25% actually was glued. I think I will try epoxy.
The pen turned out well. Thanks for the advice. The lower end of the pen on the right was the blowout

Attachments

• 20200618_192828.jpg
    20200618_192828.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 87
Top Bottom