bloodwood rolling pin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
My brother's wife saw the rolling pin i made for my wife, and now she wants one. He has done alot for me to get ready for my first art show, so i want to make a nice rolling pin for her. I have a piece of bloodwood that would be perfect for a rolling pin.

I am just concerned about food safety, and what finish if any, to use. I thought about Tung oil and the Beall... Any experiences? HELP PLEASE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

As long as the finish has cured, you won't have any problems no matter what finish you choose. Can't comment on the wood, but I wouldn't be too worried.

RAdams

Banned
Cool! Thanks!! This hunk of bloodwood shuold make a beautiful rolling pin! She will rarely use it but i still want it to be nice. I Appreciate the help for sure!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don't use it too soon. Do some tests first. Take a pen blank size (or half size) and put it in a jar of water for two or three days. That will be overkill, but it will give you an idea of the color leaching out. When in contact with food without the right sealing, something similar can happen. And when washed.

I say this because Bloodwood leached (bled out) immediately and considerably when I tried acrylic/acetone finish directly to it last year. I know you are not using that finish, but the point is that very few woods leach or bleed onto others very easily, but BW does. So a good sealing finish and lots of cure time are needed. Experiment with finishes and small pieces of BW first.

One other note: While it may not be significant, amber colored finishes will turn BW from a bright red to a very slight burnt red. If there is no comparison, you probably won't notice the difference, but if you put it beside unfinished or CA/Lacquer finished BW, it will look slightly burnt red in comparison.

BTW, I am jealous of you having a large piece of BW like that! BW and Holly are my absolute favorites, and I have a bunch of favorites! :biggrin:

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
Thanks Hank!!! I really want this to be nice. The recipient is actually alot closer to you Hank than me! As long as customs will let me, This thing is on it's way to Naha, Okinawa.

I have alot of options when it comes to finish. Like alot of guys, I have spent LOTS of money searching for that perfect finish. I have HUTT PPP, Mylands friction, Tung oil, BLO, plexi suspended in acetone, lacquer (can and spray) etc. etc. etc. I also have 4 pieces cut from the same piece to experiment with!

BTW. I picked this slab up at my local woodcraft. 2X2X24-------$14.99. It is one of the prettiest pieces of bloodwood i have ever seen. All of the other bloodwood i have is solid red. No lines, or marks or nothing.. just RED. This hunk has amazing grain lines and is lighter than normal. I will post pictures of the stopper and 6 charms in a couple of days when i get done applying all the tung oil.

mickr

I think a bloodwood roller will be very pretty..but turning the blank may give you an idea of how red everything in your shop will get..the dust will dye your skin..now whether you choose to use it in a kitchen is up to you..I personally would not..and it should really have no finish at all..a baker would want a raw wood that could be floured (as in flour) to roll dough

Top Bottom