Blew out a blank while drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tyrithe

They say there is a first for everything. Tonight's misadventure is having a giant chunk of my blank break off when drilling. It was for a jr george kit, using one of my poured abalone blanks. This was the cap, so the larger bit.

It looks like it happened right as the bit broke through the other side. Guessing I need to leave my blank a little long, drill it not quite all the way, then cut off the end?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

When drilling barrels for any "gent" drill each barrel with the smaller 10.5mm bit. Then change bits using the 12.5mm on the larger/shorter tube. This should avoid blowouts when drilling the larger tube.

tyrithe

When drilling barrels for any "gent" drill each barrel with the smaller 10.5mm bit. Then change bits using the 12.5mm on the larger/shorter tube. This should avoid blowouts when drilling the larger tube.

Ok, I will have to try that. At least the body blank (which I hadn't drilled yet) is long enough to do another Sierra from. Not sure why, but I like making that style, even if I don't really like writing with them.

I should take another crack at an Apollo with one of these blanks. Still have one rollerball and 2 fountain pens waiting.

Jans husband

They say there is a first for everything. Tonight's misadventure is having a giant chunk of my blank break off when drilling. It was for a jr george kit, using one of my poured abalone blanks. This was the cap, so the larger bit.

It looks like it happened right as the bit broke through the other side. Guessing I need to leave my blank a little long, drill it not quite all the way, then cut off the end?
Try drilling 2 or 3 smaller holes than the final drill size with a bit of tape or a mark on each drill to show when the drill point is nearing the exit point, so you can go extra slow until the drill exits cleanly. Less work for the drill bit to do.
Mike

keithbyrd

If you are using a drill press make sure your blank is firmly pressed down on a block of wood so the end of the blank isn't exposed. I cut my blanks 1/4" long and use a drill press. I have only had what happed to you happen when I get in a hurry and generate too much heat. Also brad point bits are notorious for chipping out at the exit.

tyrithe

If you are using a drill press make sure your blank is firmly pressed down on a block of wood so the end of the blank isn't exposed. I cut my blanks 1/4" long and use a drill press. I have only had what happed to you happen when I get in a hurry and generate too much heat. Also brad point bits are notorious for chipping out at the exit.

Will also take that first suggestion into account. blank was not supported on the bottom.

Drill bit was not a brad point, just a normal bit, and was basically cold to the touch after all was said and done.

jcm71

Before drilling square the ends of your blank. Then glue a small piece of scrap wood to one of the ends. Start drilling from the other end by first using a centering bit. No more blow outs. Tips I have learned from this forum.

Lew

I recently had two separate blanks of the same material blow out on me even though I had never had this problem before. I had sharp 118 degree bits which I graduated in size to get to the final size (27/64), and I was using the slowest speed possible on my drill press. When I changed to drilling on the lathe, I had no problem then or since. The lathe allowed me to drill at an even slower speed thereby reducing the friction heat. I still backed out the bit frequently and held a wet towel to the bit to cool it off. Anything to stop wasting beautiful blanks.

egnald

I feel your pain. Yesterday I had a blowout on one of my Alumilite blanks. I was even drilling with a 60 degree drill made for plastic. It was unsupported of course. I know better, but I guess we all need a reminder onc in a while.

Dave

howsitwork

Before drilling square the ends of your blank. Then glue a small piece of scrap wood to one of the ends. Start drilling from the other end by first using a centering bit. No more blow outs. Tips I have learned from this forum.
that a great suggestion , thanks

randyrls

Justin; (This is a dup post) Yes; I cut all synthetics about 1/4" longer than needed. Use the tube to sharpie mark the drill bit. Drill from the center of the both blanks outward toward the nib and cap end until the mark disappears into the blank. Then trim off the UNDRILLED end of the blank. This eliminates the breakage on drill bit breakthrough. *BUT* I find other creative ways to destroy blanks.

Lew

Here is my complete thoughts on drilling.

10 Minutes To Better Penmaking - Drilling.
Hi Mark
The problem I had with the blanks blowing out was not when the bit exited the blank but when it was about half-way through. One side just broke off. This happened 3 times and stopped only when I went to the lathe and a slower speed and cooling down the bit. Up until now, I had followed the advice you gave in your video with the exception of using brad point bits. Could have been the blank itself was poorly made.

Top Bottom