Bleaching

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I have a couple of wenge barrels that I have turned almost to size and want to try the bleaching trick. Really, I only want to lighten it enough that the difference in grain colors won't disappear when I put finish on it. I expect it will take some experimentation to see what works for me, but I have some basic questions of those who have done this.
  • Do you use bleach at 100% strength? If not, what ratio are you using? (assuming it's mixed only with water as bleach does not play nice with almost anything else.)
  • The moisture must make the wood swell some. What experience have you had with this? I would guess it needs to be turned down again after it dries?
  • Should it be rinsed after bleaching? How long does it take for the smell to dissipate?
  • Is there any reaction with CA after it's fully dried?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
= 100%
= very little swelling but some. A very light sanding will take care of it. Some people actually like the subtle texture the wood has after bleaching. depending on your finishing technique you can build up enough finish to get everything silky smooth again after bleaching, but a quick light sanding is all that's needed.
=I don't know if it s required, but I did thoroughly rinse mine when I did bleaching. The smell dissipates pretty quickly once the barrels are dry, and your finish will cover any residual smell.
= I have not noticed any reaction to CA. You may notice a reaction with the brass tubes tending to turn green and corrode some from the chemical reaction over time. It may take a while but it will happen and I don't know of a remedy for that, but dont let that deter you from giving it a try.
I soak mine in a ziplock bag with a inch or so bleach in it. Drop em in the bag and leave it set. Within minutes you can already see the transformation. When you see the color contrast you want, remove them from the bag, rinse in water, and prop the barrels up and let them fully dry before proceding. Good luck, and have fun!

jttheclockman

I have bleached wood using the peroxide based stuff and this comes in different names. Zinsser is one name. I never use household bleach. Some people do and get good results. Not made for wood though. If you are looking for a quick color change you can get away with it. Yes you always need to neutralize any bleach product those that say no I disagree because it will have an effect of finish. Maybe able to get away if you use a shellac as an underbase but why chance it. here is a do and don't list.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bleaching-wood/

sorcerertd

I finally got around to picking up some bleach. Why are there different kinds? Apparently, I got a low splash bleach, which is a thicker consistency. I guess we'll see how it works. I did look up how to neutralize bleach it for anyone interested.
  • Ascorbic acid neutralizes all residual bleach in a matter of seconds, and 1/4 tsp. of the substance added to 1 gallon of water effectively removes all traces of bleach.
  • Hydrogen peroxide - for those that don't have Ascorbic acid sitting around (like me), you can mix hydrogen peroxide with water in a 1:10 ratio.

sorcerertd

Wow, that got lighter than I really wanted it in just around 2 hours. I'll need to watch it closely next time.

20230529_164204.jpg 20230529_164215.jpg

Top Bottom