Bleached Wenge - Part Deux

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wmcullen

Wmcullen

a1.jpg

After watching @mg_dreyer 's excellent video on bleaching wenge, I watched the one he did on segmenting with guest appearance by @mark james . It's always a pleasure to learn from the best.
Anyway, the two topics swirled in my mind and I wondered if I could bleach in sections, giving it a "segmented" look without actually segmenting.

There must be 50 ways to achieve this effect.
This is the one I thought of...

a2.jpg

Bleached "spool-shaped blanks" for about 2 hours and let air dry for about 18 hours.
a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

Thanks for looking
- Cullen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cullen, the original bleached wenge that I remember on this forum, way back before the first update of the forum (that I can remember) . . . there was a photo in which the brown was brown but the bleached was very much like the bleached section in your top photo. It was stunning. I have been waiting a long time to see such contrast. Thanks!

(BTW, early on, many people posted photos on other sites and linked them here. After the first big update (or was it the second?) on this forum, some did not renew the links or move the photos here. But I can still see the photos in my mind.)

Wmcullen

Thanks all. I appreciate the great comments.
@SabertoothBunny - the clean lines impressed me too. I wasn't sure if that would happen. For instance, I tried another approach at the same time. I stood two wenge blanks in bleach. Somewhat predictably, the bleach followed some of the grain up creating not as clean of an edge.
b3.jpg

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

I don't mind it... but it's interesting.
It reminds me that trees are supposed to move liquid along the grain.

But I'm curious what other ways I could limit the effects of bleach to certain places.

@sorcerertd - I have been thinking about jigs to hold the pens at different angles! šŸ¤£
@leehljp - Thanks Hank! I appreciate that. The fact that this group keeps bringing up good ideas is a wonderful source of inspiration.

Fine Engineer

Thanks all. I appreciate the great comments.
@SabertoothBunny - the clean lines impressed me too. I wasn't sure if that would happen. For instance, I tried another approach at the same time. I stood two wenge blanks in bleach. Somewhat predictably, the bleach followed some of the grain up creating not as clean of an edge.
View attachment 354282

View attachment 354283

View attachment 354284

I don't mind it... but it's interesting.
It reminds me that trees are supposed to move liquid along the grain.

But I'm curious what other ways I could limit the effects of bleach to certain places.

@sorcerertd - I have been thinking about jigs to hold the pens at different angles! šŸ¤£
@leehljp - Thanks Hank! I appreciate that. The fact that this group keeps bringing up good ideas is a wonderful source of inspiration.
I like this one too. I think the blurred line of the color change is more like a blend than a crisp divider.

Top Bottom