blanks for canes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mostangrypirate

I want to try my hand at turning some canes. I have found a lot of part supliers, but not real sure about the blanks. I would really like to use dymondwood. I have seen very strong pool ques made with it, but I can't find any big enough blanks. any ideas???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

There are different stressors on canes than pool cues. Are you sure a d'wood cane won't break with the first pressure put on it? Personally, I have doubts that it is a suitable material for your project. I wouldn't use it.

J

jackrichington

make a ton of canes & walking sticks..have never used dymondwood as I've never found it big enough..have no idea if it is appropriate to use..wouldit delaminate after getting soaked in the rain? or the bottom soak up water? Might do fine..if you find any & make some let us know, ok? thanks

artistwood

d wood should work if the grain runs from top to bottom, ie. lenghtwise. if diagonally cut it would be dangerous, although a lot nicer looking. personally, i wouldn't take the chance. it's also a lot heavier than most types of wood i think........bear
ps...could use a strong wood for the shaft and d'wood for the handle.....

artistwood

another trick is to use d'wood, drilled through the center then epoxied on a fiberglass or carbon fiber shaft. you could cut it into small lengths and laminate it onto the shaft, then turn as one unit. it should be more than strong enough doing it that way.

thanks everybody for the links and the thoughts. I would never use angle cut D-wood, it makes me imagine some old dude getting impailed. the idea to strengthen it sound like it would work. And now I am wondering if moisture would indeed be a problem. what ever I use, the first cane will be mine and I will be none too kind to it.

thanks everybody for the links and the thoughts. I would never use angle cut D-wood, it makes me imagine some old dude getting impailed. the idea to strengthen it sound like it would work. And now I am wondering if moisture would indeed be a problem. what ever I use, the first cane will be mine and I will be none too kind to it.

Paul,
Suggest you contact Rutledge and get their specs on the D-wood... might give you better insight into the strength....

BTW, used to own a timeshare at Lake Palestine... I was born and raised just west of there in Freestone county.. I have two aunts at Troup and a sister in Corsicana.

Paul,
Suggest you contact Rutledge and get their specs on the D-wood... might give you better insight into the strength....

BTW, used to own a timeshare at Lake Palestine... I was born and raised just west of there in Freestone county.. I have two aunts at Troup and a sister in Corsicana.

inlaws in corsicana, and I used to deliver to the mill in troup. small world right?

Top Bottom