Blank Storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

So since I have joined here I have amassed a sizeable collection (at least for me it's sizeable, about 100 or so).
I haven't come up with a storage solution beyond the boxes they came in. I'm thinking clear shoebox sized containers that I can write the species on the lid.
What do you all do to keep things organized?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

So since I have joined here I have amassed a sizeable collection (at least for me it's sizeable, about 100 or so).
I haven't come up with a storage solution beyond the boxes they came in. I'm thinking clear shoebox sized containers that I can write the species on the lid.
What do you all do to keep things organized?
Works for me (shoebox plastic containers). I write the species right on the blank or on a label that I rubber-band on to a group of blanks.

I found what for me what is an ideal storage cabinet for all my pen making supplies. It's a bit old fashioned and an outdated piece of office furniture. An 8-drawer file cabinet. Not those huge ones for paperwork. This was originally made for filing two horizontal rows of 3 x 5" file cards per drawer. Actual space inside drawer is 4" usable depth, with a center divider 2" tall, interior space is 6 1/8" W x 27 1/2" D for each half of an individual drawer. Up to 6" pen blanks fit nicely . Actual external dimensions of the cabinet are 28 1/2" D x 15" W x 52" H. Pen hardware kits whether singles or bulk packs fit nicely. This keeps my pen making supplies reasonably well organized, with plenty of storage space for spare drill bits, tubes, disassembly pliers, with lots of space left over for other small tools and supplies. This particular cabinet was made by Steelcase, color is silver, not that it matters. FWW each drawer latches closed, beautiful ball bearing drawer suspension, like high quality tool chests. Most larger cities have a business or two that deals with used office furniture. Another great possibility would be an old 24 or 27 drawer cabinet. The drawers are about 9" x 12" in size and about 3-4" deep, perhaps about 30" W and 36" H. These also can be found at used office furniture stores.

Shoe boxes like the other posts. I also keep all my pens kits in them too. I can write each pen kit on the box and keep them all separate. Also makes inventorying them easier when I need to place an order.

hokie

I like to carefully manage my blanks by species and since I sometimes need to move my blanks from place to place for storage or to allow recipients of my pens to pick their specific blank, I like using labeled photo storage containers. Each of the smaller boxes holds five or so 6" x 13/16" x 13/16" blanks, perfect for my kitless pens. Each larger box hold 16 of the smaller boxes and now I am up to large box #7. I think I am a little beyond casual wood collection at this point 😟

IMG_0618.jpg

1573828811985.png

MRDucks2

Shoe boxes, here, also. Before amassing the many blanks I now have I cut 4" thinwall PVC I had left over, glued them to each in rows and mounted in the wall. Still have that, but the majority are in shoe boxes which I get for between $1-$2 each and they hold from 30-60 blanks depending on size. I write the general inventory on each lid and end (10 black walnut, 12 black locust, 4 ebony, etc).

On the end of blanks I consider to be my personal inventory (not for sale as blanks) I have a 4 digit number and track those in a spreadsheet. The others I simply track species and quantity in the spreadsheet.

pshrynk

Hokie: We could stage an intervention, but that would only be to allow some pilfering of your stock while you were getting all emotional with the rest of the crowd. I promise that I'll share with the rest... :rolleyes: 😎

I'm getting to the point that I am going to have to organize better. It will be painful, because that's not the way my brain works. I'll just follow along and pick up any ideas that are tossed out there.

hokie

Hokie: We could stage an intervention, but that would only be to allow some pilfering of your stock while you were getting all emotional with the rest of the crowd. I promise that I'll share with the rest... :rolleyes: 😎

I'm getting to the point that I am going to have to organize better. It will be painful, because that's not the way my brain works. I'll just follow along and pick up any ideas that are tossed out there.

I sincerely appreciate the offer of intervention, but I'm afraid I may not be able to stop until I own a sample of every figured and exotic species!

PBorowick

I sincerely appreciate the offer of intervention, but I'm afraid I may not be able to stop until I own a sample of every figured and exotic species!
I can completely understand that goal....and your not addicted...you can quit anytime you want to right?

That is a great idea for storage, but it is way to detailed for me. I would get all of that done and then not want to use any of them because it would mess up my organization!!

MRDucks2

I like the idea of using Holie's method for samples I want to keep. I would go broke storing all of mine like that.

hokie

I like the idea of using Holie's method for samples I want to keep. I would go broke storing all of mine like that.
Indeed, I only put the finest examples of each species in each of the smaller boxes. The extras I keep in labeled ziploc bags in large cardboard boxes I keep in storage.

Top Bottom