Blank reverse painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

M. Newell

I finally tried painting a blank using Artist's Loft acrylic paint from Michaels. I used CA to glue in the tube and after turning the blank I realized the CA must have removed some of the paint from the blank. Am I using the wrong paint or glue?

Thanks, Mike

Reactions: DrD
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Do not know and no one here will know for sure. Let me first say if you do anything in pen turning try some samples before committing to it. I am done trying to convince people to stop gluing tubes in with CA and this is because you will get the handful here and tell you they have done thousands with CA, Get them to speak to their methods then. Not all CA glue is the same. Can not say one is better than the other because I have only used one and never tested others and do not want to. I am satisfied with using Satellite CA and always will be. I use epoxy to glue my tubes in so I am not the person to speak about using CA for tube gluing.

Now back to your problem because there is absolutely no info in there that helps us so will lay out the usual suspects. Enamel paint is better than acrylic. But have used acrylic too. Paint must be completely dry. I will run a cotton swab soaked in acetone through the tube to remove any oils that maybe on there due to manufacturing before painting. If the hole is too tight and you go to twist the tube as you use CA then it can scrape off paint. You will not know till you turn it down. Using CA adheres quickly and if it does while inserting you can take paint off that way too. Or your CA can have a negative reaction in itself. Test on some scraps of acrylic before committing. This is about all I can say on this. Good luck.

WriteON

CA will kill paint. For now I stay away from
Transparent blanks. Try epoxy. Experiment as JT suggested

Warren White

I am not sure this will help, but I have had success using plain old rattle-can Rustoleum Primer (white) for any tubes I paint. Make sure the can says it "bonds to plastic". While some use different colors for different color blanks, I have found that white enhances the color of any blank I have painted, but that is just my experience. I spray paint from both ends, shake it out, and then let it stand at least overnight. I think the secret is letting it alone while it really, really dries.

As for glue, I use white Gorilla Glue.

There are many virtues to leaving things alone to cure in almost every phase of pen turning and finishing. It has been a hard lesson for me to learn but I am now committed. (Until I get in a hurry....)

I've had much better success with epoxy than CA not only with the paint not peeling but fewer blowouts, probably because epoxy fills in the voids better. I only use Tamiya acrylic spray paint (for plastic models) and let it dry for at least 24 hours before gluing the tubes in, usually several days.

George883

I've had much better success with epoxy than CA not only with the paint not peeling but fewer blowouts, probably because epoxy fills in the voids better. I only use Tamiya acrylic spray paint (for plastic models) and let it dry for at least 24 hours before gluing the tubes in, usually several days.
Just a little north of you in Peoria. Where do you get Tamlya spray paint. Thanks.

Chief TomaToe

You might also want to try painting the tube as well. That will give you an extra level of protection if you happen to nick the inside of the blank when inserting it.

turncrazy43

Been using enamel paints to paint the insides of acrylic blanks and then using 5 minute epoxy to glue the tubes into the blanks for years. Never had problem one with that method. The epoxy does not react with the paint as happens with CA glue. I only use CA glue for a CA finish or really dry wood blanks.
Turncrazy43

Just a little north of you in Peoria. Where do you get Tamlya spray paint. Thanks.

NEC 43rd Ave/Bell The Hobby Bench. The price is the same as Amazon, so you can take a short trip or kick back in the shop and wait a day or two if you have Prime, whichever you prefer. It's actually synthetic lacquer, not acrylic. The numbers begin with TS.

Last edited:

George883

NEC 43rd Ave/Bell The Hobby Bench. The price is the same as Amazon, so you can take a short trip or kick back in the shop and wait a day or two if you have Prime, whichever you prefer. It's actually synthetic lacquer, not acrylic. The numbers begin with TS.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Top Bottom