Blank orientation (cross cut turning) Novice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rrumohr1

Thanks for all the wonderful advice on the IAP forum and library. I am getting very excited to get turning. As it has been a couple decades since I last used a lathe, I couldn't remember some of the safety rules.(wasn't as concerned when I was young and dumb.)

When cutting my own blanks, is there concerns with orientation of the grain when turning these small pieces? I seem to be remember issues when turning a bowl back in the day. My first assumption is that it is not necessary with properly sharpened tools.

Is it prudent, adding a step, to knock off the corners with a plane before turning? (a small jig to hold the blanks may be handy)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Rob; Normaly when turning any object you are turning both endgrain and straight grain anyway. The difference is that we try to keep the straight grain running the length of our turnings for the added strength. When you crosscut a piece of wood, the strength is only the distance between grouth rings and the board can easly be broken by hand. The beauty in crosscut pen blanks is the unusual grain patterns that will appear when turned and finished. End grain blanks will warp if not treated or weighted and stickered. You sould stabilize crosscut blanks or soak with thin CA every couple of passes to hold them together and add strength. Cutting or disk anding the corners will make turning a lot smoother and reduce catches. Sharp tools are a must, they need not be carbide, but they must be kept sharp. Here is a pen blank that was crosscut and turned. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0026 (484x640).jpg
    DSCF0026 (484x640).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0027 (423x640).jpg
    DSCF0027 (423x640).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF0029 (507x640).jpg
    DSCF0029 (507x640).jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

rrumohr1

Thanks for feed back.

As I think about this more....

Jim B. Was thinking of the beauty of crosscut cedar or diamond willow.

Jim S thanks for the tip on stabilizing. I just jumped to a thread>blog>site on pressure pots and stabilizing wood, making blank, et.al.

Again IAP is helpful.

Top Bottom