Blank from Exotic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paulbt1975

paulbt1975

Here's the pen I made from the blank I got from Exotic Blanks. Maybe I am being too critical, but I noticed two 'mistakes' once I took the photo
IMG_1085.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Paul, we ALL are critical of what we turn (that's OK). Some issues are not noticeable except to us, but a few are possibly noticeable to others. But... look, learn, be nice to your learning curve - and you will improve. Have FUN! 👏 👏

paulbt1975

Photos have a habit of showing things you did not see!!

Your pen looks good. Many photo effects can be optical illusions--so look at the pen and see--learn from the combination of photo and real item!! Thanks for using Exotics!!
No problem Ed, Yes I didn't notice something until a saw the photo

egnald

If you are talking about the gap at the center band, I agree with Ed, I see those kind of things in my pictures far easier than I see them when I am just looking at the pens. That little gap is usually an indicator that the end of the blank was not square with the tube, although I have had situations where it was because the center band itself was not square across the entire length. It was a known problem with the PSI Faith-Hope-Love twist pens (at least for a while or with some part of a batch). There isn't anything else that is obvious. We are always more critical of our own work than anyone else would be. It is a good looking pen and the finish looks great! - Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I saw that apparent gap as well. HOWEVER, it is in a location that COULD be the light reflecting off the centerband, which gives the impression of a gap.

All-in-all, the pen is well made!! and Dave is exactly correct about the possible squaring issue, IF there is a gap.

sorcerertd

Yep, I'll chime in and say that I'm my biggest critic, too. As was already said, larger than life pictures will show the tiniest flaw (or even speck of dust sometimes).

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but I was looking since you mentioned it and was wondering if maybe you had reversed ends of the top barrel? It still looks pretty good either way. What kit is that?

paulbt1975

If you are talking about the gap at the center band, I agree with Ed, I see those kind of things in my pictures far easier than I see them when I am just looking at the pens. That little gap is usually an indicator that the end of the blank was not square with the tube, although I have had situations where it was because the center band itself was not square across the entire length. It was a known problem with the PSI Faith-Hope-Love twist pens (at least for a while or with some part of a batch). There isn't anything else that is obvious. We are always more critical of our own work than anyone else would be. It is a good looking pen and the finish looks great! - Dave
Yeah I am talking about the gap at the center band. Also up by the tip it looks a little wavy but again we are very critical of our own work.

paulbt1975

Yep, I'll chime in and say that I'm my biggest critic, too. As was already said, larger than life pictures will show the tiniest flaw (or even speck of dust sometimes).

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but I was looking since you mentioned it and was wondering if maybe you had reversed ends of the top barrel? It still looks pretty good either way. What kit is that?
It's the magnate kit from Woodturningz

egnald

Yeah I am talking about the gap at the center band. Also up by the tip it looks a little wavy but again we are very critical of our own work.
I have found that pictures sometimes seem to really amplify little things that are just not really a big deal compared to real life. I think there may also be a little photographic distortion about the "wavy". Even if there isn't, I think the "wavy" looks just fine - I thought it was intentional as it actually complements the "wavy" shape of the tip. - Dave

paulbt1975

When I got done turning the pen I was excited how it looked! I didn't even know whether to use the Hutt ultra gloss (I did use it) but I couldn't believe how beautiful the blank looked.

Top Bottom