Blade Kit Click Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Angela S

I have made about 4 of the Blade Kit Click pens. I like the way they look but the click mechanisms keeps sticking. Sometimes it won't click to extend the tip of the pen. If I completely unscrew the mechanism and screw it back on, it works fine. This is my first time using a kit with the Schmidt click mechanism and I am confused because I have only heard good things about them on this site. Does anyone have any ideas about what id happening?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I only have the psi ed carry and ed classic: sometimes the click housing has to be tightened, by hand (then use blue loc tite on the threads, optionally). Same thing with the nib end, When both ends loosen it makes the pen barrel longer and too long for the point extend. I have no experience with recent Berea kits.

magpens

After you remove and reinstall the click mechanism, does it eventually fail again ?

Haven't made a Blade kit, but I have made other kits that use the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism. . Had no troubles with sticking at all.
I do have some of the Blade kits and have played with the mechanisms quite a bit ... no problems ... they extend and retract as they should.

I also have made some kitless pens using this click mech without any problems.

If you can't get any help here on IAP, I would suggest that you phone Berea and ask for Jim H. (the owner). . He would be fully conversant with any technical issues and would be the best person to help you. . He would also be able to send replacement mechanisms if it comes to that.

You might ask him if a very tiny drop of WD-40 could help out but I would not apply that until he gives the OK. . I've never had to do that.
The mechanism is all metal, so I would think that the WD-40 could not do any harm, but ask Jim before you do it. . It could be that the mechanism is not meant to be lubricated in any way. . The internals are very simple, and consist of a tiny ball riding up and down in a patterned groove.

(Just as an aside, Berea has another kit using the same mechanism, the Sierra Super Button Click. . No trouble with it, in my experience.)

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

I've made several with no issues. When I've had that issue with other kits it was a burr or something similar causing the problem. It was an easy fix with a small file or sandpaper. That was few and far between and I wouldn't want to have to do it often. The Blade is the same kit as the Tenacious sold at Woodcraft. If Berea can't help try taking it there if it's feasible.

Angela S

After you remove and reinstall the click mechanism, does it eventually fail again ?

(Just as an aside, Berea has another kit using the same mechanism, the Sierra Super Button Click. . No trouble with it, in my experience.)

Thanks for the ideas. It does stick again. It is usually after being left alone for a while.

Dieseldoc

Have made several of these pens and used. Schmidt SKM88 in many pen modifications without any problem with the push button. However in the that pen that won't won't work correctly the first thing I always do is to check the spring, as if it's in backwards it will jam up the nib, even there may be a problem with the refill swap out the refill. The other members have giving you good information on making sure there is no interference in the tube.
Hope you find the problem as the Schmidt push buttons are great in pens.

Angela S

Have made several of these pens and used. Schmidt SKM88 in many pen modifications without any problem with the push button. However in the that pen that won't won't work correctly the first thing I always do is to check the spring, as if it's in backwards it will jam up the nib, even there may be a problem with the refill swap out the refill. The other members have giving you good information on making sure there is no interference in the tube.
Hope you find the problem as the Schmidt push buttons are great in pens.

I think you are correct and it might be a spring issue. I have flipped the spring around and will see if it continues to work. Thanks!

magpens

Good thought about the spring.

The spring supplied with the Blade kit is not the same on both ends. . One end is tapered and is intended to "grasp and cling to" the refill.
That end of the spring should not go first into the nib. . If it does, some "stickiness" in the pen operation could result.

(Bear in mind, however, that sometimes different shipments of the same kit can have slightly different springs included.)

johncrane

i also use WD40 in my carry pen no problems yet will see long term makes the clicker smooth, i use 2 to 3 very small drops placed in the grove where the tiny ball moves up and down, i would not spray the clicker just use little drops

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey John,

IF I recall correctly, at one time you posted pictures of many pen transmissions disassembled. Can you direct me to that information, please?
I had it in an old computer that crashed and burned, now I can't find it again---thank you for any help you can provide!!

Ed

johncrane

Hi Angela i have been looking for a cause as to why some of these kits are sticking, on the 2 i have i found in the screw on nib section is it's not smooth on the inside of the nib, there are tooling grooves left in there from the maker, check yours out use a needle or refill and run it up on the inside wall to feel for sharp edges, if it's not smooth in there i think the spring is catching on these grooves and causing problems, i have no idea if there all like it , they make thousands of these kits and some will have problems .

Top Bottom