Black Walnut Desk Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This is my first desk set, and I hope I have learned from doing it. In the pictures I note a few flaws, but since it is already in Louisiana, I can't fix them.

Many of you know I like wood with a story to tell. This black walnut was planted by my late mother many years ago. The ground was so poor that it never really thrived. After Hurricane Rita, my brother who now lives in the home we all grew up in had to cut some damaged trees. Although he tried to drop one oak between the house and the walnut, it fell on the walnut. He sent me some pieces and requested a pen. As a side note, the tree is growing back from what was left of the trunk, and should survive and hopefully thrive.

OK, finally, here are three pictures of a Black Walnut Baron Fountain Pen and my interpretation of a desk set. Comments pro and con are welcome.

20071243611_Black%20Walnut%20Desk%20Set.jpg

20071243640_Baron%20in%20Black%20Walnut.jpg

2007124372_Desk%20Set%20Open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

William,
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I really like it, especially the clock piece, with bark. Nice use of the crotch too. The pen has some nice character and your finish is awesome. Now for the part I don't like. The clocks must be busted, since I keep looking at them, but they don't move.[:eek:)]

I must be getting sleepy early.
Rob

LanceD

William, I didn't know you had my address [:D]. Seriously, that's a beautiful desk set and the finish on it looks great. I'll trade you one of those for a couple of King Cakes [}:)]. You know Mardi Gras is right around the corner.

DLC

I like that you left the bark on the clock. Nice job.

wdcav1952

Thanks, all for the nice comments. Big Rob, you got me for a second! [:0]

Lance, oh to be in Louisiana when it is Mardi gras season!!!!

Thanks, Andrew. It is multiple coats of spray Deft, knocked down by 4/0 steel wool, followed by Minwax Finishing Wax.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great work, Cav. Really like the "non-traditional" shape. AND the clock is great with the bark on it.

OK, now for the "but". With a fountain pen design, I would have chosen to mount the cap so that writing is not a "two-step" process. First, remove the pen, then remove the cap. Also, it increases the likelihood of the pen being inadvertantly stuck in your pocket and leaving the "desk part" (that's a technical term!)

Overall, I really do like it, just things to consider if you are making other designs.

csb333

I think it looks great, with a great finish! Can you clarify what you mean by Deft? Isn't that a brand? I guess what I mean is whether it is laquer, enamel, poly, spray or brush? That will really be treasured by the receipient.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by csb333
<br />I think it looks great, with a great finish! Can you clarify what you mean by Deft? Isn't that a brand? I guess what I mean is whether it is laquer, enamel, poly, spray or brush? That will really be treasured by the receipient.

Sorry, since I only use Deft lacquer I forgot to specify that. It is spray lacquer. Thanks for the kind words.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Great work, Cav. Really like the "non-traditional" shape. AND the clock is great with the bark on it.

OK, now for the "but". With a fountain pen design, I would have chosen to mount the cap so that writing is not a "two-step" process. First, remove the pen, then remove the cap. Also, it increases the likelihood of the pen being inadvertantly stuck in your pocket and leaving the "desk part" (that's a technical term!)

Overall, I really do like it, just things to consider if you are making other designs.

Excellent point, Ed and actually one I have considered since great minds think alike. [;)] I had planned to route a groove on the surface for the pen to rest in, but when I decided to add the clock, there was no room and the pen was already finished. BTW, thanks for the technical jargon. [:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom