Black Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wmillman

wmillman

Well today I decided to tackle at least one of the Black Palm I have, this was not a real relaxing turn but it didn't explode on me and here is the result after several tool sharpening's and as many soakings of CA.

IMG_7549-E.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

I love this Pen the Kit matches the wood perfect and you have achieved a great finish.
I know how difficult this material is to turn well done.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking pen! And you did what it took to make it. Sometimes, taking the extra time makes it worthwhile and the experience gained will help with the next one.

There are a few ideas that I just cast aside as being too time consuming for the results gained. But then, there are the rewards from taking the extra time needed to make it look professional! Well done!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wendell, that is an impressive pen. Personally I like Black Palm and have had good success, but yes - CA is integral. Not an easy turn, doesn't play well with end grain. But your finished pen is very, very nice!

Was the blank stabilized? If not, that may be something to investigate. I am not interested in a full-blown stabilization chamber, so I have recently experimented with small scale 'wood hardeners.: I can do single blanks with kitchen jars. Just started and have 3 blanks ready to drill/turn.

Thanks for sharing - very nice pen.

Fuzzy63

Great looking pen. I like the end results from black palm as well. It's not easy to turn but, looks great with that needle pattern.
Gary

wmillman

Wendell, that is an impressive pen. Personally I like Black Palm and have had good success, but yes - CA is integral. Not an easy turn, doesn't play well with end grain. But your finished pen is very, very nice!

Was the blank stabilized? If not, that may be something to investigate. I am not interested in a full-blown stabilization chamber, so I have recently experimented with small scale 'wood hardeners.: I can do single blanks with kitchen jars. Just started and have 3 blanks ready to drill/turn.

Thanks for sharing - very nice pen.
Hi Mark thanks for comment on the pen, no this was a unstabilized blank, after I cut the blank to length and drilled I put lots of thin CA in the drilled blank and also all four sides let dry and then re-drilled the blanks. Had no trouble getting round but it then started to chip a bit so I stopped and soaked with CA, repeated this 3 more times I think before I got it down to the bushings. Each time I soaked with CA I touched up my gouge, took my time and all went well, sanded and finished with Shellawax.

Would be interested on how you make out with the wood hardeners.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark thanks for comment on the pen, no this was a unstabilized blank, after I cut the blank to length and drilled I put lots of thin CA in the drilled blank and also all four sides let dry and then re-drilled the blanks. Had no trouble getting round but it then started to chip a bit so I stopped and soaked with CA, repeated this 3 more times I think before I got it down to the bushings. Each time I soaked with CA I touched up my gouge, took my time and all went well, sanded and finished with Shellawax.

Would be interested on how you make out with the wood hardeners.
I will post a thread when I turn them, and poke you with the results. I read from others on IAP that commercial 'wood hardeners' (Big box stores/hardwares) may be a good 'cheap version' to stabilize blanks. If so, I will be thrilled. I put one blank in 5 weeks ago, took out after being away from my house/shop, so it was in solution for 2 weeks; then did a similar spalted blank for another 2 weeks. This is vastly overkill, but with my loosey goosey memory, it fits my manners 🤣 🤣 . They were dry to the touch within 2 hrs when I took them out. I will get to turn them soon. I also have a moisture meter, and the stabilized/hardened blanks read 14%, so that is OK in my opinion.

crokett

That is spectactular. I appreciate how hard it is to turn black palm. Some years ago someone gave me an 6/4 square by 14" or so long blank. I cut some of it into 6 or 8 pen blanks. To date I have made 1 successful pen, I have 1 blank left. I sent some out to be stabilized a while back, that also blew up on me

howsitwork

Black Palm is a s#d to turn . I stabilised some blanks in stickfast in the hope it would be easier , nope ! Still splinters and spits out fibres unless your tool angle is just right and the skew edge has been honed recently ( OK Hank I hear you !! You know where I am coming from). Currently the lower part is sat with the dust and CA mix filling the one splinter I couldn't find!
Now naturally I have found it 🤦‍♂️ but in my defence it's 2 weeks later and I moved on to easier laminated blanks and refined my favourite round skew.

Great result there

wmillman

Appreciated all the kind comment everyone, I started turning pens back in Sept of this year, and I have been enjoying every second of it. I have made 8 or so for Christmas gifts, and another half dozen or so as gifts to friends, yup I think I am a addict now...I guess there is no cure for this addiction.

Top Bottom