Black Magic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Just a thought I played around with. Black powdercoated 300 win mag with black acrylic top. Brass bands are clear powdercoated too. I will likely replace the acrylic on this one with some ebony or blackwood. As always say what you like.

Cheers,

Fangar

blackmag.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I am not generally enamoured by shell pens,,,, BUT this one is really cool... fantastic effect... definately different... a stealth shell pen... too cool

Deere41h

That did turn out nice. I too am not a big fan of shell pens but have not seen one that nice before. Great job, nicely done.

Fangar

Originally posted by jimbo 31751
<br />James that looks very nice,just received my powder coat,and am going to try it out this weekend.due you preheat you brass before coating?

Jimbo,

Thanks. There is no need to preheat the brass or most metals for that matter. You do need to preheat your bake oven so that it is up to temp and hot when you place the casings into it. I preheat to 450 degrees. The casings go in and bake for about 5-10 minuts, until the powder completely flows out and then down to 350 for 20 minutes.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Looks good, James. How much thickness does the PCing add to the pieces?

Thanks Billy. The powdercoat does not add enough thickness to even notice. We are talking similar to a very thin coat of paint. If you do mating parts, I use a special high temp paint to cover threads, etc.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />I was wondering if powder coating came in colors. Really nice pen and the upper barrel looks great with the brass.

Yep. Comes in hundreds of colors including chromes, pearls, metallics, etc. Take a look at some of them at eastwood.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=845&itemType=CATEGORY

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by fritzmccorkle
<br />very nice. what do you need to do powder coating besides the powder? is it difficult? what can you powder coat over?

Thanks.

In addition to the powders, you need a system of applying it. There are many on the market. most of which require some sort of simple air compressor. There are several guns arriving on the market that are all in one and do not require a compressor. Essentially, your gun his connected to your compressor just like you would a spray gun. Only instead of wet paint you are casting a talcum like powder when you pull the trigger. Also the system runs are only 8 to 10 psi as opposed to 40-90+ depending on your paint gun. The gun charges the particles negatively while a terminal wire connected to the parts charges them positively. Opposites attract. The powder maintains a static charge adheres to the pieces. Usually, wires or metal racks are used to lace the parts on. Since the racks or wires are conductive, the terminal can be attached to them allowing for complete coating of an outer surface. Then the parts are placed in an oven and baked. The result is very durable. A simple example of the black can be found on any late model Harley Davidson frame, and the clear on all late model Harley gas tanks. Many car manufacturers are switching to powdercoated clear coats due to their durability and ease of application.

Finally, you can powdercoat just about any metal. It really needs to be bare for best results and for the powders to stick once baked on. There are some materials that are harder to work with (Cast Aluminum for example). As long as it can conduct, and take the heat of the oven, usually no problem.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9308&SearchTerms=nice,rack

Here's some photos of a simple casing rack and clear powder application.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by oobak
<br />It looks like a slim tip on a classic top, did you use a 7mm or 8mm mech? Great look by the way.

This one is a 7mm mech, slimline nib, classic top and clip. I will tell you that they have both 7mm and 8mm tubes used.

Thanks for the comments.

Fangar

its_virgil

Fritz,
Check out http://www.geckowoodworks for a nice powdercoating tutorial don by Ash Webb.

Another source of powder and supplies is http://www.columbiacoatings.com

Do a good turn daily@
Don

Leather Man

James,
I just picked up some 300 Weatherby Mag and 300 H&H cases. The tubes for a slimline pen are too short and are to small in diamater to fill the neck. Do you use an extra long tube and how do you get the tube to center in the neck?
Thanks
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom