Black Lucite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Lucite is acrylic.
Yes, of course. I should have been more specific. At suppliers like Exotic Blanks, there is a distinction made between AA type acrylic and "Italian Acrylic" which is (or was) sometimes labeled "Lucite," distinguished by its higher price and in my experience, a slight edge in hardness and quality. That's what I was going for.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Yes, of course. I should have been more specific. At suppliers like Exotic Blanks, there is a distinction made between AA type acrylic and "Italian Acrylic" which is (or was) sometimes labeled "Lucite," distinguished by its higher price and in my experience, a slight edge in hardness and quality. That's what I was going for.
Well as I said if you are looking for hardness, the link I gave you that material is harder than say the acrylic blanks we get from vendors or even from home made resin. Probably very good for making kitless pens and putting threads on. I tried taking a stick of that and just trimming the sides to take the gloss off and square it up on my tablesaw and it was bogging the saw down. It says it is a drawn acrylic so not sure what that means.

Herman

Maybe I can help. I produce PMMA acrylic rods for my own use by casting method. I didn't find it on the market in the specifications I was looking for, so I decided to produce it myself. Acrylic casting is harder than extruded, resistant, easy to machine with carbide tools. Sanding and polishing is also simple and produces parts with high gloss and scratch resistance. However, I warn that due to the hardness, if it is not worked correctly, it can chip, crack. Anyone who is used to softer materials such as wood and plastics may be surprised. I don't make square pieces, the material is polymerized inside glass tubes, so the rods are cylindrical, usually 15 or 16 mm in diameter, length +/- 130 mm. Is this the material you are looking for?

Attachments

• DSC07599.JPG
    DSC07599.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC07604.JPG
    DSC07604.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC07605.JPG
    DSC07605.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC07606.JPG
    DSC07606.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 189

Kaspar

Well as I said if you are looking for hardness, the link I gave you that material is harder than say the acrylic blanks we get from vendors or even from home made resin. Probably very good for making kitless pens and putting threads on. I tried taking a stick of that and just trimming the sides to take the gloss off and square it up on my tablesaw and it was bogging the saw down. It says it is a drawn acrylic so not sure what that means.
Will take a look.

Kaspar

Maybe I can help. I produce PMMA acrylic rods for my own use by casting method. I didn't find it on the market in the specifications I was looking for, so I decided to produce it myself. Acrylic casting is harder than extruded, resistant, easy to machine with carbide tools. Sanding and polishing is also simple and produces parts with high gloss and scratch resistance. However, I warn that due to the hardness, if it is not worked correctly, it can chip, crack. Anyone who is used to softer materials such as wood and plastics may be surprised. I don't make square pieces, the material is polymerized inside glass tubes, so the rods are cylindrical, usually 15 or 16 mm in diameter, length +/- 130 mm. Is this the material you are looking for?
I may try the stuff mentioned above and see how that goes. But I'll keep you in mind.

Top Bottom