Black Jade Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

garypeck

Hi guys, I have been away for almost 10 years.... Traveling to many places because of my work and in the course of travel, I came across some really exotic materials.....

One of them which I will be sharing is the Black Jade. It's basically Jade, but blackish in colour. However, you should see some tint of green if you have a bright light shining at it.

Just wanted to know how difficult or even if possible to turn this blanks and if there was any interest in these blanks....

I have possibly about 10 of these blanks in 1" X 1" X 6" But if there was demand, I may be able to get more.

Dimensions may differ slightly.

As usual, I won't be selling them but trading them for kits, pens you name it..... I'm open

PM me so we can discuss and move on.....

I will also be posting some old blanks as soon as I get round to the store and find them...... So keep a look out for them.

Warmest Regards,
Gary
bc80bd0e5f6163c013495ab58c6d1859.jpg
0c3f6feda222c6f8894570c0322483b6.jpg
fc593fc669b187305a7a4a535d4d9e85.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Are these actual jade (as in the mineral e.g. calcium magnesium silicate)? or a faux jade composite resin of some kind?

garypeck

Are these actual jade (as in the mineral e.g. calcium magnesium silicate)? or a faux jade composite resin of some kind?
These are the real deal. But of course, there are many grades of jade and these may or may not be worth a lot of monies. Personally I think I'll have a better chance hitting the lottery than them being valuable.

FGarbrecht

These are the real deal. But of course, there are many grades of jade and these may or may not be worth a lot of monies. Personally I think I'll have a better chance hitting the lottery than them being valuable.

They look really cool; I imagine they'd chew up HSS turning tools quickly. Any idea if carbide would work? or if you need diamond tools to work them?

garypeck

They look really cool; I imagine they'd chew up HSS turning tools quickly. Any idea if carbide would work? or if you need diamond tools to work them?
I would think you need diamond tools to work with it. Haven't the foggiest clue how to turn these fellows. They are stone hard if not harder.

Gary

More4dan

I once looked at some jade for making knife handles. I was told it would require lapidary equipment to shape due to its hardness. So grinding at low speeds with diamond and with lots of cooling water.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

eldee

They look great! Good luck with them. I still have a low grade block of jade that I bought many years ago. The coring bits and saw that I had were not sufficient to work with the stuff and I gave up on it.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Best I could do with diamond coring bits and lots of coolant was make a center band. It was very slow and bits still turned bright red. . Was also able to make some thin strips with a diamond saw but very slow and not too productive. HSS and carbide not hard enough. Interestingly, one of the most expensive pens ever made (over $250,000 I think) was carved from jade.

Top Bottom