Black dyed Curly Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jehster1

Jehster1

This one put up a little bit of a fight. First I had to re-dye a couple of tiny spots when I got it turned to size. Then it decided to find out what flight was like when I had it at the buffing wheel so I had to refinish the body. Lastly, it reminded me to always make sure I've sanded ALL the ends flat before assembly by not seating properly so I had to take the cap apart, sand and reassemble.

Luckily I had read about others encountering these problems on this wonderfully informative forum so I was prepared. I just wasn't expecting it to happen all to the same pen. šŸ˜‚

Pua LR Ben-3.jpg
Pua LR Ben.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
VERY Nice. Well done.

I too, wondered what you used to die the wood.

(I have used steel wool, vinegar and tea for a very dark - almost black wood but it takes a while using that method. )

Jehster1

The blank came dyed but I finished it with some Keda Wood dye at the end to cover up the spots. Here are two pens I made when I was starting out that I used the Keda dye on. I believe the wood is Spalted Tamarind. The crayola part is acryllic (I think).

Pen 7-2.jpg
p 10.jpg

Terryble66

Love this! I have some Keda dyes and thought about trying them on the pens. Do you drill and turn them before dyeing them or just soak the blanks?

Top Bottom