Black CA Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone used any black CA glue and if so what brand and were you happy with it?? Did you use for a specific purpose?? Did you use as a finish?? Did you use to glue things that needed to be matched with the glue because it would be seen?? How was the strength?? What thickness glue?? Maybe give a little review. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I've used black and amber, both from a guitar/musical instrument making website I can't recall ATM. I got them for estate smoking pipe restoration. Haven't had a need for them on my pens (yet). They worked well for ebonite and plastic pipe stems, filling in tooth marks, etc. Sanded and polished up very nicely, for an almost invisible repair.

jttheclockman

I've used black and amber, both from a guitar/musical instrument making website I can't recall ATM. I got them for estate smoking pipe restoration. Haven't had a need for them on my pens (yet). They worked well for ebonite and plastic pipe stems, filling in tooth marks, etc. Sanded and polished up very nicely, for an almost invisible repair.

Michael thanks. Is it possible to get a link somehow. Would like to look at it. Those people would know about using fill in glues I would think. :) I will also try to find them.

Found these. Drys pretty quick. That may hurt me.

www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/StewMac_Tinted_Super_Glue.html

Last edited:

mecompco

Michael thanks. Is it possible to get a link somehow. Would like to look at it. Those people would know about using fill in glues I would think. :) I will also try to find them.

www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/StewMac_Tinted_Super_Glue.html

I believe it was Stumac. I was thinking MacMasters, but I knew it wasn't that. IIRC it was thin, but not "extra thin" and was OK to carefully build up missing parts of the stem and fill in tooth dents (chatter).

jttheclockman

I believe it was Stumac. I was thinking MacMasters, but I knew it wasn't that. IIRC it was thin, but not "extra thin" and was OK to carefully build up missing parts of the stem and fill in tooth dents (chatter).

Thanks. I need it to be thin so it flows and that is why I can not use epoxy. But what I might do is use Liquid Diamonds epoxy and put it under pressure to get it to flow better. The mind is working over time.:biggrin::biggrin:

hewunch

As I recall, it looks black in the bottle, but more grey in application, the watery comment above is a good way to put it. I would say it is between med and thick ca. I bought some from Monty years ago. My desire was to use it on translucent dark blanks to glue in the tube so I didn't have to paint the blanks. I was not pleased with the outcome.

jttheclockman

The last 2 posts are not encouraging with the CA use. I need to make up the blank and see where I go from there. Thanks all.:)

Top Bottom