"Black Boy" Sirocco

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tjd

tjd

A Pewter plated Sirocco Twist action pen.
Made using Xanthorrhoea Johnsonii
An Australian Timber also known as "Black Boy" or "Grass Tree"
Finished with melamine Lacquer

P1128834.JPG

P1128836.JPG

P1128837.JPG

Black Boy or Grass Tree.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful pen Thomas. It is only the second one I am aware of made from this species. The other is in the IAP Collection, and was constructed and turned by Bob Wemm: Australian Grass Tree.

I am curious if you stabilized the blank, purchased the blank, etc. Any issues turning it?

Well done.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 178

tjd

Beautiful pen Thomas. It is only the second one I am aware of made from this species. The other is in the IAP Collection, and was constructed and turned by Bob Wemm: Australian Grass Tree.

I am curious if you stabilized the blank, purchased the blank, etc. Any issues turning it?

Well done.
Thanks Mark,
It turns real easy and disintergrates into dust whilst turning.
It is Not stabilized and i purchased it from a friend in UK who deals with exotic timbers, these were the last of his blanks, i believe you cannot import this timber anymore, so quite rare.

OZturner

Excellent Pen, Thomas.
Great Job on the Grass Tree,
Not quite the easiest Material to work.
In most States of Australia, you are prohibited from removing them from the Bush, but they are also Cultivated, and you can do what you like once you have bought it.
But they are quite Expensive, due to their Slow Growth.
Nicely Turned, and you achieved a fine Finish for this Material.
Great Choice of the Pewter Sirocco Twist Pen.
Well Done
Regards,
Brian,

Reactions: tjd

robutacion

Well done.

In fact, some people did find it very difficult to stabilise, if I recall correctly at the time Bob did introduce these tree species to IAP, he seemed to be unsure if he should stabilise them or not, I have stabilised them successfully before so I offer to stabilise a hand full of blanks for Bob, I think the blank he used for the IAP collection was one of those I stabilised but I can't remember accurately, sorry.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom