Black and Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Todd in PA

Todd in PA

This is kitless No. 6 for me. I'll say that I'm still in the frustrating phase of making a mistake that results in me remaking the whole cap. 🤪Or whole body. 🤪Or, in this case...BOTH. 😣 I guess technically this could be pen No. 7 if you count the near whole pen in my scrap bin.

Mistake #1: Not drilling deep enough for section to thread tightly, and not realizing until after the threads were cut.
Mistake #2: Not using a live point to hold the cap when shaping, resulting in a VERY out of round end unsuitable for the clip ring.

• It is made from a Polymethyl Methacrylate blank called Blue Ice that I got from Berea, and Ebonite.
  • Stats.
    • Capped length: 5.25"
    • Uncapped length: 5.00"
    • Cap Diameter: 16.5 mm tapering to 15.0 mm.
    • Pen Body Diameter: 15.25 mm tapering to 13.75mm.
  • The metal is Argentium Silver.
    • I fabricated silver jump rings and inset them into the ebonite end caps (discussion HERE). I previously used 20 gauge, but increased the size to 14 gauge square silver wire for this pen.
  • Single threads which take 4 revolutions to remove the cap. I'll be shopping for more expensive taps and dies once I've honed in on a design I want to produce.
  • Photography.
    • The first two photos are my usual setup-- outdoors, white refectors, iPhone. The second two pictures are using the technique discusses HERE, using glass, one side painted black, and a reflected background image (in this case a wood tabletop). The glass images are highly touched up in post due to a lot of dust and scratches in the glass that weren't visible until after painting.
  • Costs.
    • I think this may be helpful to others considering the plunge. The Jowo #6 nibs are $18. The blank was $5 (I used two due to mistakes but I'm only counting one). Three inches of ebonite is $5. There is a little over $3 worth of silver in the two rings (again, mistakes cost me one additional ring). The clip cost $4.
    • Grand total in raw materials $35.00.
    • I'd like to give you a grand total on the time investment, but it's not fair due to mistakes and re-builds. I'll try to track it for you on the next one.
As always, criticisms and critiques are welcomed.

Photos.

Kitless #6 Black and Blue 2023-10-08 002 (1920x1440).jpg
Kitless #6 Black and Blue 2023-10-08 004 (1920x1920).jpg
Kitless #6 Black and Blue 2023-10-08 007 (1920x1382).jpg
Kitless #6 Black and Blue 2023-10-08 009 (1920x1440).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Nice work!! Clip and band looks excellent. The shine is superb. And that Blue Ice is just mind blowing!! Wonderful pen!

leehljp

Member Liaison
The mirror shine finish shows through and reflects (no pun intended) the full skill that you put into the pen! Beautiful work!

Last edited:

Hippie3180

Great job! The polish in your ebonite is amazing. The blank is beautiful….nicely done. I'm just over a month in and there are still lots of challenges along the way, but it's so awesome when things work out.

naynay

God, you all are talented. I'm still trying to get my stuff constently good all the time before I even think about kitless pens. Nice work.

Lew

I'm not sure I really like your posts. First, you show absolutely gorgeous pens that make me wonder if I'll ever get that good, and second, you keep introducing new skills (your piece on your photography and making (?!?) silver jump rings) that threaten to take up all my spare time because they look so interesting to learn. Beautiful work.

sorcerertd

Wow, that's beautiful! The blank really glows and the finish is fantastic!

Thanks for including the cost factor. It is useful, but I think the tooling (taps, dies) are the big investment to get started.

Todd in PA

I'm not sure I really like your posts. First, you show absolutely gorgeous pens that make me wonder if I'll ever get that good, and second, you keep introducing new skills (your piece on your photography and making (?!?) silver jump rings) that threaten to take up all my spare time because they look so interesting to learn. Beautiful work.
Deepest apologies. 😜. The IAP does have the option to ignore specific members. LOL.

Todd in PA

Thanks for including the cost factor. It is useful, but I think the tooling (taps, dies) are the big investment to get started.
Yes, it's a big up front expense to purchase the tools. I was used to buying a pretty decent kit for $15-$20 which includes a nib, clip and trim rings/bands. So my sticker shock on a Kitless pen surprised me. 😳

KMCloonan

I think the word we are looking for is "Stunning". I feel for you, regarding the mistakes you mention, but that is a learning curve that you are on, and you are pulling us along with you. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the inspiration.

woodwzrd

Beautiful pen. Everything ties together very nicely and the blue is stunning. I appreciate your cost breakdown. It really helps give little more insight into the kitless world beyond the tooling cost.

sorcerertd

I keep coming back to this. It looks like it's lit up from the inside.

Is this the blank? It looks quite different in the picture on the Berea site.

Todd in PA

Yes. That's the blank. It looks better in person. I did bump the vibrancy on the photo in post production. There are three colors in the series. Here they are in person. One cut side and one shiny side of each.
IMG_8729.jpeg

Top Bottom