Black and amber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I received some new materials last week, so I wanted to try them out. This is. Fountain pen made from black Ultem, amber Ultem, and bronze.
the body and cap are black Ultem, with an amber ink window. I cast the hardware from bronze. Barrel is about 12.5 mm at the threads, which are triple lead. Overall length capped is about 5 1/8".
I've used amber Ultem (fancy industrial plastic) quite a bit, but had never tried the black before, and I had not tried bronze casting prior to this. Both materials worked out quite nicely, and I am a fan of the black Ultem, which I may start using more in lieu of black acrylic acetate. The nib is a jowo #6, and the pen fills via converter or eyedropper. I don't do many black pens, so this was fun.
2C62F693-0614-4623-98C6-684B705CA06E.jpeg
F90F6820-F221-4DBF-8D21-A25C526982EC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That has to be one of the nicest kitless pens I have seen here in a long time. Thanks for showing. Looks like you have a great combination. Love the flat ends. To me a classier look. Would look good on the front page.

magpens

Very Outstandingly Beautiful !!!!

I love the shape, styling ... and, if I am seeing correctly, the shallow threads !!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful work and I have been a fan of your personally made appointments (clips, rings etc,) since you started. Excellent!

Jans husband

A lovely looking pen, --such skill!!

I would like to aspire to turning a pen like that, but looking at yours it will be a long time!!!

Thanks for the privilege of seeing it.

Mike

jalbert

Very Outstandingly Beautiful !!!!

I love the shape, styling ... and, if I am seeing correctly, the shallow threads !!
They're 1mm pitch, but I only cut about .75mm deep. Gives me a nice flat on the crest of the threads, and let's me retain a larger minor diameter.

PenHog

Really nice (as always)!

Question: I've noticed your bands are sometimes raised above the material on the cap, instead of being flush withe material. I like the look. But I wanted to ask --- and I understand if wish to keep your methods a secret --- does the band here have a partial groove that it sits in, or is the entire band raised/sitting on the material and held in place entirely by glue?

jalbert

Question: I've noticed your bands are sometimes raised above the material on the cap, instead of being flush withe material. I like the look. But I wanted to ask --- and I understand if wish to keep your methods a secret --- does the band here have a partial groove that it sits in, or is the entire band raised/sitting on the material and held in place entirely by glue?
It's in a groove in the cap. I don't typically use glue in the capacity where I am relying on it to be the sole source of strength in a connection. I prefer mechanical connections in my pens.
The band could be flush, but I like my bands slightly proud. Gives a bit of dimension to the cap.

Top Bottom