Bit Sharpening

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I'm looking into a sharpener for jobber bits. It would be nice to be able to sharpen both metric and imperial bits. I have arthritis in my hands so holding and sharpening by hand will probably be out of the question. Any suggestions or solutions you've found successful?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

danhoke

The latest iteration of the Drill Doctor is getting good reviews. Don't know if it can be used for your "jobber bits" and it might require too much of your hands.

TonyL

I have the DD 750 or so. I actually got pretty good at sharpening on my grinding wheel or by hand. It takes me much less time (and I am no machinists).

leehljp

Member Liaison
Minimum of Drill Doctor 500, but 750 has better options. I have had my 750 nearly 15 years. It is great. Only thing better is full time machine shop work experience!

howsitwork

I have a 750 and it works well. You need to be able to grip the drill collet to tighten it but, with rubberised gloves to improve your contact this should not be an issue ( and will keep,your hands cleaner so is of benefit )

thisoldpen

+1 on the Drill Doctor 500X.

I have owned a DD 500X for about a week, and I am thrilled with it. So far I've sharpened 118 degree standard twist bits and a few 135 degree split point bits (a mix of HSS and cobalt). Those old bits were dull, gouged, smoking hunks of metal, and now they are literally good as new.

Once this stupid pandemic is over, I'll knock on the neighbors' doors to see if anyone has dull bits that need sharpening!

TonyL

+1 on the Drill Doctor 500X.

I have owned a DD 500X for about a week, and I am thrilled with it. So far I've sharpened 118 degree standard twist bits and a few 135 degree split point bits (a mix of HSS and cobalt). Those old bits were dull, gouged, smoking hunks of metal, and now they are literally good as new.

Once this stupid pandemic is over, I'll knock on the neighbors' doors to see if anyone has dull bits that need sharpening!
I am happy that you like it. I have the 750 for about 3 years. Do you find that you have to rotate the bit (in the bit holder) dozens of times? Thank you.

thisoldpen

I am happy that you like it. I have the 750 for about 3 years. Do you find that you have to rotate the bit (in the bit holder) dozens of times? Thank you.
I don't have a lot of data points yet, but it seems to vary with the bit size. Once the bit is locked into the chuck, my smaller bits (e.g. 7mm) get a fine edge in 4-6 sharpening passes (with 180 degree rotations between passes). Larger bits (3/8 inch, 10mm, etc.) require 10-12 sharpening passes. Maybe this has to do with the amount of material to be removed, or just the dullness before sharpening. I would be curious to know if other DD owners experience the same...

I did read in the DD user guide that you should get around 200 sharpenings from their diamond wheel before it may need replacement. Their documentation also suggests reversing the diamond wheel to extend its life. See page 31:

howsitwork

As has been said depends upon how blunt / chipped it is.

Just don't ever try to sharpen a left hand drill on it 😳😳. Please don't ask how I know that.🤦‍♂️

TonyL

I don't have a lot of data points yet, but it seems to vary with the bit size. Once the bit is locked into the chuck, my smaller bits (e.g. 7mm) get a fine edge in 4-6 sharpening passes (with 180 degree rotations between passes). Larger bits (3/8 inch, 10mm, etc.) require 10-12 sharpening passes. Maybe this has to do with the amount of material to be removed, or just the dullness before sharpening. I would be curious to know if other DD owners experience the same...

I did read in the DD user guide that you should get around 200 sharpenings from their diamond wheel before it may need replacement. Their documentation also suggests reversing the diamond wheel to extend its life. See page 31:

Thank you. My bits are never that dull, but I seldom get away with less than 30 to 50 rotations before not hearing it touch the stone. I am sure that I am doing something wrong. thx.

duncsuss

Thank you. My bits are never that dull, but I seldom get away with less than 30 to 50 rotations before not hearing it touch the stone. I am sure that I am doing something wrong. thx.
It sounds like there's too much of the bit protruding when you start sharpening. From memory, isn't there a bolt head that the tip of the bit presses against when you're setting the bit in the jig that holds it? Maybe that bolt is screwed too far into the chassis?

TonyL

It sounds like there's too much of the bit protruding when you start sharpening. From memory, isn't there a bolt head that the tip of the bit presses against when you're setting the bit in the jig that holds it? Maybe that bolt is screwed too far into the chassis?
Thank you Duncan. I have adjusted that and consulted tech support at DD several times to review their instructions. Tech support stated that it is common to rotate the bit dozens of times. They all sent me more detailed instructions which I shared with all. Thx again.

duncsuss

Thank you Duncan. I have adjusted that and consulted tech support at DD several times to review their instructions. Tech support stated that it is common to rotate the bit dozens of times. They all sent me more detailed instructions which I shared with all. Thx again.
Wow ... I know the first time I sharpened my larger drill bits it took maybe a couple of dozen turns, but I figured that was because I was maybe changing the tip angle a little. (A bit like sharpening a spindle gouge to a new bevel angle, which takes longer than just touching up an existing grind.)

I'll check the doc you posted - thanks!

TonyL

Wow ... I know the first time I sharpened my larger drill bits it took maybe a couple of dozen turns, but I figured that was because I was maybe changing the tip angle a little. (A bit like sharpening a spindle gouge to a new bevel angle, which takes longer than just touching up an existing grind.)

I'll check the doc you posted - thanks!
I actually had the technician lead me through the process. She had me buy a more course stone, but i didn't notice a difference. Very nice folks and I do think they make a quality product.

Last edited:

Paul in OKC

Had one of the original DD years ago at the shop I work at. Didn't like it. It would sharpen a bit good enough to drill most woods, but rarely well enough to drill metal. Called and they sent me the newer chucks, still no luck. (they are good people to deal with). We got the newer model. Somewhat better, but as much as I have to fidget with it if there is much of a size difference it is just as easy for me to sharpen by hand. But that's just my experience. Maybe I am too picky :)

Top Bottom