Bison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I was just watching a news story about a lady jogger who was attacked by a Bison. Chased her down and successfully flipped her into the air.
Broke her ankle and gored her leg. She was jogging with her boyfriend, who had already received the same treatment from Bison
previously in life. This is in Utah! So I guess the latest THING out there, is to wake up one day, and say "Hey"! Let's go jogging by a herd
of Bison today.

The news reporter went on to say something about, how far to stay away from a herd of Bison. I didn't even hear the rest of it, as I was immediately
thinking to myself, 15 miles oughta do it! Has any other "jog in nature" runners ever been run down by a Bison? Mountain Lion? Bear?

Waded in the Everglades? Stood beside "Old Faithful" and get scalded? I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box....but not one of these things appeal
to my quest for fitness (which left me years ago)

Oh, and her boyfriend who had already been run over by a Bison says, as he looked at her laying on the ground, knew what kind of pain she was in
Because it happened to him.
Amazingly, he's still her boyfriend. I'm just saying.... Bison have been running down humans for centuries. You might want to stay away from those guys. ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've SCUBA dove within arm's reach of Hammerhead sharks at Cocos Island (Pacific) - They are actually very shy and will swim away when they see you. The same trip I did a night dive where the Black Tip reef sharks (4-6') were feeding; they would swim between your legs, totally ignoring you to get to the eels in the rocks (I was more worried about the eels). I have also been close 15-20' away from a whale shark, an Oceanic Shark, and lots of nurse sharks. In typical SCUBA dives, I watch for the eels - they have poor vision, lunge at what smells yummy, and can be unpredictable. But after 500 dives, never had a problem other than my wife likes to be funny and turn my air off at 90 feet. (My Insurance is paid up).

What really was scary... My teenage kids! 👹😈.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You're a very brave man! None of those things are on my list though. And I hope you're with me when somebody wants
to attack me. 😁

WriteON

I've SCUBA dove within arm's reach of Hammerhead sharks at Cocos Island (Pacific) - They are actually very shy and will swim away when they see you. The same trip I did a night dive where the Black Tip reef sharks (4-6') were feeding; they would swim between your legs, totally ignoring you to get to the eels in the rocks (I was more worried about the eels). I have also been close 15-20' away from a whale shark, an Oceanic Shark, and lots of nurse sharks. In typical SCUBA dives, I watch for the eels - they have poor vision, lunge at what smells yummy, and can be unpredictable. But after 500 dives, never had a problem other than my wife likes to be funny and turn my air off at 90 feet. (My Insurance is paid up).

Marks James.... aka... Dances with Sharks.

PreacherJon

I went hiking up a mountain in Penn. Came across a mother black bear and her cubs. I wasnt chased or anything. But that is when I learned that if you are going to do anything where there is a predator that can kill and eat you. That is the time to carry for protection. All you usually have to do is make a loud noise with it... and that can keep you safe.

tiggere

I wade chest deep into a swamp with alligators and cottonmouths in the middle of the night so I can shoot 3 ducks at daylight and then drive home...does that count?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I wade chest deep into a swamp with alligators and cottonmouths in the middle of the night so I can shoot 3 ducks at daylight and then drive home...does that count?
Absolutely that counts! Those have GOT to be GOOD Ducks! Another brave man here! ;)

Your wife sounds like a Navy dive instructor. The final test for Navy certification, at that time, was to swim through an underwater maze with aluminum foil covering the front of your mask so visibility was zero. While you were groping to find your way through this maze the instructors would mess with you by turning off the air flow and try to yank the regulator out of your mouth and in general just mess with you.

Last edited:
I saw on the news the other night where a couple in Colorado were attacked by an Elk. Pinned the lady to the ground and kind of beat up her husband. People get way too close to these animals and then can't figure out why they get attacked. Go to Yellowstone and watch the people get close to the Bison, some try to get close enough to touch them. I keep my distance and use the zoom on the camera to get closer.

WriteON

Absolutely counts. Me......I'm going to try walking through a lions den wearing a pork shop suit.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Absolutely counts. Me......I'm going to try walking through a lions den wearing a pork shop suit.
You won't need to invest in the suit. Just go ahead and walk through the den. 😊 I saw that brave lady this morning, climbed the fence to taunt a male lion. The mote between them is the only reason she is still alive. Not to imply that lions are afraid of water. But she IS still alive today.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Any full grown adult that insists on wearing multi coloured lycra deserves to be Bisoned. It should be illegal for anyone over 10 yrs old ;)

WriteON

IMHO, once is enough. Married 47 years and not wanting to start over again at this point in time.
I swore off of it. Did not look for it...Avoided it like the plague. Said I never get married or buy a black car again. But things change. I learned never say never. Got married, bought 1/2 back car. The SSR is gone...the marriage still stands.

Attachments

• SSR 6589.jpg
    SSR 6589.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 125

Larryreitz

About 9 years ago, before I had the benefit of all the wisdom offered here, we were driving through Yellowstone NP and stopped to view (from the car) a few bison on the right side of the road. There were a number of people on the left side and wanting to see if there were any good pictures to be had I found a decent parking space, got the tripod and camera out and proceeded to have a look. I must have strayed a bit too far from the small crowd because shortly after I got the picture shown below a nice ranger lady tapped me on the shoulder and suggested I get back in the car as the bison on the other side may want to visit with the bison on the side where I was. I took her advice.

yellowstone_river_buffalo_RTP copy.jpg

Larry

WriteON

About 9 years ago, before I had the benefit of all the wisdom offered here, we were driving through Yellowstone NP and stopped to view (from the car) a few bison on the right side of the road. There were a number of people on the left side and wanting to see if there were any good pictures to be had I found a decent parking space, got the tripod and camera out and proceeded to have a look. I must have strayed a bit too far from the small crowd because shortly after I got the picture shown below a nice ranger lady tapped me on the shoulder and suggested I get back in the car as the bison on the other side may want to visit with the bison on the side where I was. I took her advice.

View attachment 226198

Larry
I hope they (Bison) are not monitoring this forum.... I had a Bison burger once or twice and it was not bad. I do not want to offend, scare or ruin their day. Forget about them stomping/killing us....we might eat them first.

pshrynk

2 things:

1. I have a sign on my cubicle that says "You can't fix stupid. But you can sedate it.

2. I often talk with hospital administrators. Does that count for bravery?

Top Bottom