Big turning project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

low_48

Before and after pictures of a commission project. The client hoped that I could make 6 bowls for his family from this 32" long log section he dropped by. I think he will be surprised. Large bowls in the back row are 18" diameter for scale.

Attachments

• oaklog.jpg
    oaklog.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 213
  • oakcollection.jpg
    oakcollection.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Are you sure he wasn't looking for some washtub-sized bowls? :)

Beautiful job on all those bowls.
What kind of wood is it?

low_48

Thanks everyone. It's some species of red oak. The guy planted it 55 years ago. I was shocked when he brought that piece over. But then I saw that some of the growth rings were over 1/2" wide. Still unfinished. 17 of the bowls just came out of the drying kiln, the rest are in there now. I use an old upright freezer with a fan and light bulb in it for drying. The pieces that the client buys will be finished in natural. The others will be a variety of finishes. Some sand blasted, some dyed then pores filled with colored wax, and some filled with acrylic paint the sanded back. The paint stays in the pores, and the rest goes back to natural. Going to have days and days of sanding. It's taken just over a month to get to this point. Lost track of how many garbage cans of chips have been hauled out!

Top Bottom