Big, huge thanks to Lou and Gerryr!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

So I won Eagle's blank!:eek::biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek::biggrin:

My wife nearly had to pick my 240lb. carcass off the living room floor when I read the outcome.

I don't know if you can imagine the privilege this is. Eagle and I did not always see eye to eye, and we had more than a few very interesting phone conversations (interesting in good ways, interesting in not so good ways). Sometimes my phone would ring and it would be Eagle, and he's have so much great advice for me and was (usually:wink:) in the mood for some great laughs and fun.

The first time we ever talked on the phone, he talked in his usual Eagle-english (meaning, @$^%&) which didn't bother me a bit. Later when he found out I was training to be a pastor, he apologized to me for using language. He never needed to apologize (catch me in the right mood and I speak the same language) but I do remember appreciating his respect.

What Eagle ALWAYS wanted to do was help me improve what I do. I am going to do my best on this blank to do Eagle proud. Whatever I do with it, THIS PEN WILL NOT GO INTO MY "FOR SALE" inventory. This pen will be a treasure.

I am open to ideas on how to make this pen, but I already have a pretty decent idea of what I'm going to do. Maybe you can sway me (I can't let the cat out of the bag just yet!!).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Congrats man! I fully expect you to bring that thing to Rock Vegas when we hook up so I can check it out.

redfishsc

The blank is a touch under 5.5" so closed-end is a certainty with me (I seldom do FP's that aren't closed end).

It's a bit too narrow to comfortably make a big Gent out of, but I can use a Baron. The Baron was one of Eagle's favorite kits since he can modify it moreso than other similar kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd say a closed end Statesman or Lotus. Something good!

It is YOUR blank, therefore it is YOUR decision. And, no matter what, personally I thank you all for helping Lynn.

A word on Eagle's "preferences": He always said the blank should speak and the hardware should be secondary. However, he ENCOURAGED ME to use statesman-type centerbands, if I wanted to. We had a mutual respect that allowed me more latitude than most.

Before the Chicago Pen Show, Eagle used an emperor kit to make his "Gaudy pen". This turned out looking like a pin stripe suit and Eagle was incredibly proud of it. (He continued to call it gaudy, but it was the pen he carried and "bragged about" all weekend).

So, when the "cross" blanks were Eagle's "claim to fame", he was very "opinionated" (hard as that is to believe) that the hardware should be plain. This opinion, like his opinions on Polyresin, evolved with some urging from his friends (notably PR Princess).

Hope this helps any one who gets one of his blanks.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Win an Eagle Feathers blank

For those of you who have always wanted an "Eagle-ized" blank, there is another fundraiser going on over at the Eagle's Woodworking forum.

It is for an Eagle Feathers blank. There are other prizes as well. Contributions will be accepted through August 17 and the winners will be announced on August 18.

gerryr

So, when the "cross" blanks were Eagle's "claim to fame", he was very "opinionated" (hard as that is to believe) that the hardware should be plain.

I do want to point out that I bought about 2 dozen of these blanks from Eagle, all for the same customer, and all were used to make Jr. Statesman roller balls. Eagle liked them. So, while he was opinionated about how it "should" be done, he could be pretty flexible when he saw the finished product.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

I didn't know yours were statesmen.

Eagle DID speak highly of Gerry's pens.

And Gerry was very patient with Eagle's delivery.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

redfishsc

Well, guys, I have decided to go with a platinum Baron. That's what I recall (personally) Eagle using. However I do not plan on this being a "stock" pen and I'll take my time with it and let the wood speak for itself. I kinda agree with Eagle that the wood should dominate (unless you have a customer who is really eccentric!).

BTW, Gerry, the blanks arrive today (Weds.) in perfect shape.

They look great, and I thank you BIG TIME for this. Big time!

Top Bottom