Better Slimline transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JPutnam

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I cannot find it in the group... The slimline pens close when people write with them. Where can I buy better transmissions for them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

Hmmm, in my 10+ years making pens I can honestly say I've never had that problem. Which kits is this happening to? From whom are you getting these pen kits?
When I searched for "twist transmission for pen kits" I get all the usual suppliers so it's hard to recommend without knowing whose transmissions are giving you problems.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here is a thread from 2008 where that issue was discussed. The best solution is to buy a bunch of extra transmissions and ALWAYS test them before inserting one into a tube. It should turn smoothly and have a noticeable little "click" when turned to the fully open position.

Most pen kits are produced in Taiwan or China. Those produced in Taiwan are generally regarded to be of better and more consistent quality, but transmissions are fairly complex, and a bad one can sneak out of any factory from time to time.

its_virgil

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I cannot find it in the group... The slimline pens close when people write with them. Where can I buy better transmissions for them?
The solution is to purchase better slimline kits, not purchase transmissions to replace the one in the kits you are getting. Some transmissions "lock" in place when extended and others do not. When fully extended if the refill tip retreats just a little back then it has locked in position. They do not all do that.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

The slimline pens can retract upon use when it is not fully extended. I think it has to do with the way people twist pens in their hands when using them. So that twisting motion retracts the cartridge if it isn't fully extended into place.

I have found that when a pen is "prone" to doing that I make sure the ink cartridge is fully extended when using it. When I make sure to do that I do not have the issues with the cartidge retracting. Maybe it is just a "made in China" issue but I cannot say for sure.

mick

I've only had a couple of pens so this. By a left handed person. Lefties are pushing the pen, (righties pull the pen) this puts pressure on the transmission and if the pen isn't fully extended it will rotate back out of the nib.
As one of those lefties I've tested this and I'm sticking to my story. šŸ˜

Top Bottom