Better lighting/beauty shot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hippie3180

Hippie3180

I'm posting this because I've already posted a slightly dark video of this pen, the lighting was sub par. One of my first attempts at internal polishing. I also cast the blanks for this pen as well. I know some of you may roll your eyes cause flowers, but we're a diverse group here…right?

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I really like this shot, it really shows off the casting and the materials in the casting.
You have something here, the flowers cast into the Alumilite. I haven't seen this done before. Bravo!

Hippie3180

I really like this shot, it really shows off the casting and the materials in the casting.
You have something here, the flowers cast into the Alumilite. I haven't seen this done before. Bravo!
Thank you. There are a few who do flowers out there, I think John U does some plant matter as well.

Curly

Good looking pen.
I am curious if you have inked it yet? Reason for asking is that the flower petals inside may not be impervious even with casting and I think the ink may wick into them. I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong.

Hippie3180

Good looking pen.
I am curious if you have inked it yet? Reason for asking is that the flower petals inside may not be impervious even with casting and I think the ink may wick into them. I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong.
I have no inked it, but I will, cause I'm curious too. My ink is black, so it should be pretty obvious if this happens.

Also, I think unless there's a catastrophic failure of my converter things should be fine.This brings up a good point though, I didn't seal the inside of this one, but I will here on out. Great input.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
No issues with me for flowers - you did a beautiful job. The internal polishing; I understand the process, and admire those who have embarked on mastering that process - you did great!

Thanks for sharing a very impressive pen.

I will remind you that if you have more of this 'in process,' hold off posting' and enter one of the BASH contests that are to begin in a few days.

Curly

I have no inked it, but I will, cause I'm curious too. My ink is black, so it should be pretty obvious if this happens.

Also, I think unless there's a catastrophic failure of my converter things should be fine.This brings up a good point though, I didn't seal the inside of this one, but I will here on out. Great input.
My mistake. I thought this was an eyedropper demonstrator pen where the ink would be normally in contact with the inside of the barrel.

Hippie3180

My mistake. I thought this was an eyedropper demonstrator pen where the ink would be normally in contact with the inside of the barrel.
That's quite alright, got me to thinking about how I can better secure the inside from any ink mishaps.

sorcerertd

I love the flowers! You've done an amazing job on that! Did you also cast the blank for the section and cap? It looks great with the primary blank.

That's quite alright, got me to thinking about how I can better secure the inside from any ink mishaps.
Just a thought... and maybe it's been done, but what about a clear sleeve? I'd imagine that would be a challenge.

Hippie3180

I love the flowers! You've done an amazing job on that! Did you also cast the blank for the section and cap? It looks great with the primary blank.

Just a thought... and maybe it's been done, but what about a clear sleeve? I'd imagine that would be a challenge.
Thank you! Yes, I also made the cap and section blank as well.

That's also an idea. I'm in the process of casting several more floral blanks, so I'll be thinking about what might work best. I'm thinking I can just seal the inside before I sand/polish. I think this will seal any plant matter that is exposed.

ZanderPommo

That is absolutely outstanding. And as far as the flower eye roll you're worried about, don't forget that this is a group of people who enjoy making "pretty" things, and that @Toni got pretty dang popular on here a long time ago for being particularly talented in the flower department 😂

I keep forgetting my girlfriend needs wants me to order a blank from her for a pen for her work desk 🤔

Anyway, that pen is stunning. Please keep up the good work and please post more pictures of similar projects in the future.

BoonareeBurl

I'm posting this because I've already posted a slightly dark video of this pen, the lighting was sub par. One of my first attempts at internal polishing. I also cast the blanks for this pen as well. I know some of you may roll your eyes cause flowers, but we're a diverse group here…right?
I'm a wood guy ... but whoa. Maybe I gotta switch to flowers? Superb!

G

Hippie3180

That is absolutely outstanding. And as far as the flower eye roll you're worried about, don't forget that this is a group of people who enjoy making "pretty" things, and that @Toni got pretty dang popular on here a long time ago for being particularly talented in the flower department 😂

I keep forgetting my girlfriend needs wants me to order a blank from her for a pen for her work desk 🤔

Anyway, that pen is stunning. Please keep up the good work and please post more pictures of similar projects in the future.
Thank you! I should never underestimate this crowd. I'm a fan of Toni's work myself, such amazing talent.

I'm in a mode of playing with flowers, there will be more.

JohnU

For the inside, I would apply a few drops of ultra thin CA and roll it around to soak in to anything it can. Then pour out the excess and let it cure before I assembled it so the gasses don't fog up the inside.

Hippie3180

For the inside, I would apply a few drops of ultra thin CA and roll it around to soak in to anything it can. Then pour out the excess and let it cure before I assembled it so the gasses don't fog up the inside.
Great! Thank you for the input, I wouldn't have thought about the gasses. Good to know. Thank you!

Top Bottom