• image-1387791325.jpg
    image-1387791325.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 192
  • image-4048213978.jpg
    image-4048213978.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Do you know how well the CA finish on the olive wood stands up to getting wet ?

I've not had a problem on any of the razor handles I've made. This is the first brush.

When I do ca over olive and other oily woods I wipe with acetone first. Haven't had any probs yet.

The nice thing about these handles is that they are threaded so could easily be refinished if necessary.

robutacion

I love the grain in the brush handle.

Both pieces have exceptional grain, the brush has what I call the "gem" grade which is equivalent to the exhibition grade, unfortunately I never get much of that sort of grain, not as much as I would like off-course, I wish the whole old Olive trees would give me that quality but, that ain't the case but, I get still, a good amount of it...!

Good shape and finished, wiping the wood with acetone just prior to coat with CA, is a good step to take, I prefer to use stabilized wood for those sort of items, the treated wood will allow the CA to last longer and the moisture/water, won't penetrate the wood and spoil it however, there is no news of how difficult is to deal with the natural oily woods such as the Olive wood but, even if you don't want or can stabilize the Olive wood, either boiling it and toast if in a oven, will remove remove or crystalize most of the excess oils in the wood so that, they don't bleed to the wood surface, there is off-course, a lot of extra work that will only affect the item durability and not of how it will improve the look, that would be no different...!

Well done Dan, great set...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

elkhorn

Great job, Dan. Question. You said the handles were threaded. Did you mean just the razor or the razor and brush both. If so, are the knits threaded as well? Where did you get the knot?

Thanks for the info:)

Dan Masshardt

Great job, Dan. Question. You said the handles were threaded. Did you mean just the razor or the razor and brush both. If so, are the knits threaded as well? Where did you get the knot? Thanks for the info:)

I meant just the razor on this. The knot is from Berea and epoxied in.

Csusa has a threaded knot. I have one to try but haven't used it yet.

Top Bottom