Best wood for novice woodturner?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from putnamm

putnamm

I turned pens when I was a kid. But ever since high school I have not turned anything until this Christmas when I got a benchtop lathe as a gift. Since then it's been nothing but pens! Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I'm interested in trying more things (bowls, goblets, etc.).

Given that I don't have a lot of experience in turning other things, what kind of wood should I start with? I've used maple to practice and fiddle around with beading, etc. Is there a good-looking wood that is easier to use and less prone to catches, etc. that I should start with?

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Look for some free wood on your local craigslist or contact a tree trimmer. Then you aren't out anything but time if you screw something up. I'd look for softer woods vs something like hard maple or ironwood. They are easier to turn than the hard woods.

Also, look into taking some classes from a local turner (find them thru the local chapters in IAP or the AAW). Many Woodcraft stores offer classes as well. If you can get some 'training' under your belt at the start, you'll have a more enjoyable experience and be less frustrated learning the ropes. Wood turning is not inherently dangerous but can still get hurt if you start taking chances or do something silly.

Hope this helps!

RKB

Mark, 1 of my favorite woods that I find easy to turn is Redwood. I especially like Redwood Burl. Good luck with your quest. :biggrin:

Rod

JimB

Mahogany and Cherry are both good woods for beginners. BTW, catches are usually something we cause. It isn't usually caused by the wood. If you are getting a lot of catches then you are doing something wrong. Using very hard woods or woods with voids or other issues will make learning harder.

I'm with Doug (alankulwiki7). Look for free stuff. If you happen to live in the sticks like me, keep your ear tuned for the sound of a chainsaw. There's always a free piece of wood when there's a saw going! You can also contact tree services. Some woods aren't especially sought after but if you're starting and it's free - hey! I traded a bowl for some awesome apple wood once and did the same thing for some really big pine slabs. When you see someone taking a tree down, stop and make a new friend.

SDB777

If you lived a bit closer, I'd tell you to come by with a pick-up(empty), and then watch you fill it up.....price? Ah, bring me a smile, and that would cover it!

Scott (craigslist is a good place) B

MTViper

Mark,

I agree with the free wood suggestions. If you have a fireplace the wood pile is a great place to start. If you don't and can't find free, pick up a cedar 4x4 or 2x6 from Lowe's or HD. They're cheap and cedar is a very forgiving wood for a beginner. Look at my location and if you're anywhere near, drop me a PM and I've got a firewood pile you can raid.

Steve

I turned pens when I was a kid. But ever since high school I have not turned anything until this Christmas when I got a benchtop lathe as a gift. Since then it's been nothing but pens! Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I'm interested in trying more things (bowls, goblets, etc.).

Given that I don't have a lot of experience in turning other things, what kind of wood should I start with? I've used maple to practice and fiddle around with beading, etc. Is there a good-looking wood that is easier to use and less prone to catches, etc. that I should start with?

Thanks,
Mark

Since you're in Texas you should have some access to Mesquite... when it's green it's pretty easy to work with, as it dries it gets a little harder, but it's pretty stable and won't move much from green to dry... might work well for goblets and bowls... that's the wood that got me into this vortex of wood turning... I admired a guys bowl in an art gallery in Fredericksburg and spoke out loud when I did... my wife told my son I wanted a lathe and he bought me one for Christmas that year... it was from Home Depot - a Ridge spindle lathe that had a low end speed of 750 rpm... first time I put a bowl blank on it that wasn't perfectly round already, it tried to leave the room. Was a great lathe for pens though.

I'm on a Jet 1442 now that has a low end of 450... still to fast for out of balance blanks, but I have a good band saw now and make sure I'm round before I start.

Top Bottom