Best way to use antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eppen

Hello there
A friend gave me two full antlers and I want to use them for pens.
What is the best technique to break them down into usable blanks. And are there any do's or dont's for turning and finishing

thanks in advance

Anthony
image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

Anthony,
I've been looking into this also, my brother unloaded a bunch of whitetail and mule deer antlers on me.

This is in the IAP Library:

There are also a few good videos out there also. I will try to find them and link them.

Found one of them:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Choose the pens you want to make, take the brass tubes and lay them across the antler to see where you need to cut.
Pens are straight, antlers not so much!!

Chasper showed a great method of prepping the antler--mount in your lathe, between centers and rotate until you find the best spots to start
turning the antler round. Maximize your diameter. Then hold in a chuck and drill on the lathe. You can tell as it rotates between centers whether you will be able (if you want it) to show some of the bark in your finished pen.

Good luck--
Ed

bsshog40

Ed has some good advice. Antler is hard to get nice even pieces with. The best spots I see right now are at the skull. Looks like you could get a couple 2" - 2 1/2" pieces out of each set just at the skulls. Looks like maybe some towards the end of the antlers but I'm betting they are curving and probably getting pretty skinny by that point.

Sataro

Depending on the thickness you may be surprised by the number of blanks that you cut that antler into.

hbillings

I find the marrow to be interesting as well, but it needs lots of filling with CA. If you do get some exposed marrow, it helps to reverse the blank between coats of med CA to get those gaps filled.

Top Bottom