best way to "store" the 2 tightening sticks on lathe chucks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I recently purchased the large dedicated pen jaws chuck from PSI. Those 2 tightening sticks are small and worry me that I will lose one... Misplace I mean....

What do you all do with these?

Attachments

• IMAG4269.jpg
    IMAG4269.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG4268.jpg
    IMAG4268.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG4271.jpg
    IMAG4271.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

From time to time, Peachtree Woodworking Supply has a special deal on their rare earth magnets -- one of these will easily hold the tommy-bars for my collet chuck, a couple of them hold the large key for my SuperNova2, one for the Allen key that fits the chuck lock screw, one for the drill chuck key, one to hold my calipers ... you get the idea :biggrin:

I'm sure I paid around $25 for this collection of 100 magnets ...

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 11.40.25 PM.png

Last edited:

shastastan

I use those (18"?) magnet bars which I get from HF unless I find them on sale, rarely. For me, I make a base attached to a 1/4" plywood backing and add the magnet bar. This is for my tools. I finally got tired of trying to find various allen wrenches, chuck keys, and tommy bars so I got a magnet bar just for them and other loose things such as my mini sorby chisels. Everything is on the wall opposite my lathe and quite handy. The only thing I have mounted to the lathe is a cut off paint brush with rare earth magnets. I use it to wipe my carbide tools on.

Stan

monophoto

I have a holder on the end of the bench under my lathe - a scrap of 2x4 with holes for storing the tommy bars and also the hex wrench for the screws that hold the jaws on my chuck. I ripped the 2x4 at an angle so that the sit at about a 45deg angle - horizontal holes would not be secure (they could work out with vibration), and vertical would cause the handles to stick up where they would be in the way.

Top Bottom