Best way to restore a bevel and shew angle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I own a CBN/Norton driven variable speed 8 inch grinder and a belt grinder. I also own the way skew jig and platforms. I want to return my square and oval skews to the original bevel angle and skew angle. Let's assume we are starting from an unfinished oval and square piece of HSS.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Agree with John. Also add that being consistent is a key. Once you find a combination you like, the big thing then is being able to sharpen time after time and get the same results. Which is why I love my jigs!

jttheclockman

Agree with John. Also add that being consistent is a key. Once you find a combination you like, the big thing then is being able to sharpen time after time and get the same results. Which is why I love my jigs!

And I agree with Ted about being consistent. One other thing, do not be so fast to the grinder if the tool gets dull. Get yourself a good set of diamond honing stones and learn the art of honing as well. Lots of time, just a hit with a stone and you are back in business and saves wear on the tools. They are not cheap if you are buying good tools.

low_48

I'd suggest you watch an Alan Lacer video or two. Also depends if you want them both straight or curved at the cutting edge.

KenV

Tony -- the length of the bevel (lets assume it will be equal length and be on both sides of the skew) will depend on what you are cutting and how you use it.

Alan Lacer recommends the bevel length be twice the thickness of the skew. That is a good general setting.

If you look at the videos done by Ed Davidson (YoYo Spin) who does acrylics and complex curves you will see that Ed has bevel lengths closer to thickness of the skew (a larger included angle at the cutting edge).

Both are correct with Lacer cutting mostly wood and Davidson cutting mostly acrylic and both being expert with the materials of preference.

Then you can add Eli Avisera -- who sharpens with a convex shape and used a bevel at the edge about midway between Lacer and Davidson. I have grown to like the Avisera approach.

So -- What do you think will work best for you?

TonyL

Thank you. A 35 degree inclusive angle works best for me (and 1.5 times the thickness of the stock). However, I didn't clearly state my question. I was looking for guidance on how to grind a symmetrical bevel angle (35 degrees and skew angle (i.e. 70 degrees) from "scratch" (basically from a rectangular length of HSS). I have watched many of the aforementioned videos (and even purchased some). The challenge is that many of the chisels start with a factory bevel and skew angle to maintain or alter to suit one's style. I want to establish the initial bevels and angles. Thanks again!

low_48

First measure the angle of what you have now. If you want a longer bevel, start grinding with the wheel only contacting the back of the bevel. On my oval skew, I actually prefer to grind on the side of the wheel, I don't like long hollow ground bevels. That is 100% by feel, and probably not for beginners. You have to have a confident feel, and resist the temptation to keep looking at how much you have removed. Each time you look, you have to find the bevel again. I have a flat skew with a radius cutting edge. I use a platform to work that bevel. I use a small square to transfer the point where the bevel meets the body to the other side. That way I have a guide to grind to.

jttheclockman

Thank you. A 35 degree inclusive angle works best for me (and 1.5 times the thickness of the stock). However, I didn't clearly state my question. I was looking for guidance on how to grind a symmetrical bevel angle (35 degrees and skew angle (i.e. 70 degrees) from "scratch" (basically from a rectangular length of HSS). I have watched many of the aforementioned videos (and even purchased some). The challenge is that many of the chisels start with a factory bevel and skew angle to maintain or alter to suit one's style. I want to establish the initial bevels and angles. Thanks again!

If you are wanting to make your own turning tools from scratch and i really do not understand why (too many other things to do ) but again there are a ton of videos out there. The one constant is to use the proper steel. not all HSS is made for turning tools. Good luck. Specialty tools is different because you are making something that is not out there and suits your needs only.

As mentioned turning acrylics, woods and different metals could require different grinds so you may have more than one tool of the same kind. I understand that. As you turn larger objects other than pens it may require more different grinds. Tailoring your tools to what you do, can become an art in itself. Most people here are into one thing and that is making pens so they do not need many tools. But just like working wood in other forms such as flat work will require more tools. There are many jigs and devices that can help. Just need to do the research. Hope you find what you are searching.

TonyL

Thank you both. I do not want to make tools from scratch; I do want to "repair" two skews that I have sharpened poorly. They are very sharp and usable, but far from the original factors angles. I did call a "Frank Penta" and he explained how. Thank you al for the insight and direction. It is much appreciated and valued.

Wildman

About the only angle lot of people agree on is that toe to heel 70 degree angle, lot of different bevel angles bandied about for sides of the tool! Cannot leave out turners saying forget that 70 degree angle and grind it straight across which also works!

http://www.cnew.org/tips_techniques/spindle_turning.pdf

: Skew Chisel

Make your own jig to go with Wolverine V-arm? Not sure understand how it operates or care so won't be making a new skew jig!

http://www.browningwoodturning.com/...stration_Handout_Material_files/SKEW DEMO.pdf

I just free hand sharpen my skews on my grinder or belt sander. Only skew that hand sharpen (diamond stone) is my ¼" round skew. I use the bar assembly that comes with Wolverine dressing jig. Would not waste any money on their dressing jig. Ernie Conover talked about the using that bar assembly for free hand sharpen turning tools in his book & video. It works for me also use it for free hand sharpening gouges!

Wolverine Dressing Jig

Have tried platform & V-arm as well, somehow talked myself into buying skew jig at a symposium on sale many years ago. Forgot gave that jig away long time ago until someone ask if willing to part with it here.

I found the radius or round methods of sharpening a skew advocated by Raffin & Lacer easiest to master. Radius or round skew worked well for couple years but went back traditional angles & bevels.

Bottom line get your skew sharp and keep it sharp! How you ask? Just do it!

Top Bottom