Best way of holding small items to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from philb

philb

Hi,

Looking at turning some beads etc, mainly with a hole smaller than a normal pen mandrel sized hole.
Tried turning between centres, which worked well but its tricky to get right in againt the dead centres. Even with a carbide square tool theres not much space?

Any ideas or tips would be most appreciated!

PHIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

These have pre-drilled hole through the middle though? So I couldn't do the longer piece and do multiples on one length? Great idea for solid beads though!!

sbarton22

How about this...Start with a longer piece with your hole pre-drilled. Insert it into a collet chuck. You can hold the free end with the tail stock if you prefer. Then, start knocking out those beads, one right after another.

The picture in my head is starting with a pen blank, turning one end round to fit in the collet size of your choice, but you could also turn the whole thing round to the size of your bead. Stick it in the collet. Once it is in the collet, then drill the hole on the lathe. Then, go, man, go!

alamocdc

Use a collet chuck (like a Beall or PSI). Get a piece of aluminum rod the diameter of the predrilled hole and chuck it up. Use this rod as your mandrel.

Or you could use (or turn) a wooden dowel (held in a chuck) to use sort of like a jamb chuck.

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Hi,

Looking at turning some beads etc, mainly with a hole smaller than a normal pen mandrel sized hole.
Tried turning between centres, which worked well but its tricky to get right in againt the dead centres. Even with a carbide square tool theres not much space?

Any ideas or tips would be most appreciated!

PHIL

Phil, I have several styles of mandrels that can be used to turn/make beads. The mandrel is mounted between headstock and tailstock. You can contact me if there is interest and I can glady shoot you off some pictures to your e-mail.

Regards,

wood-of-1kind

Mandrels - between centres

Hi Phil,
these are three(3) different (diameter threaded rod) that I use to make beads, bobbins and many other small projects. You can cut the threaded rods to any length that you require to suit your needs. Add wooden "spacers" between the headstock and tailstock ends and you have unlimited options. These work for me and hopefully you may find my design useful.

Regards,

Copy%2520of%2520P1010025.JPG

P1010023.JPG

P1010027.JPG

philb

Those look great! Many thanks for posting.

Are the 6-sided long nuts either end threaded too? These look ideal for getting right down to mandrel when turning, as I was really struggling with the tool interfering with the dead centers!!
Cheers

KenV

I have been making beads to fit on "KUMI" braids today. The bigger the bead and the longer the stock, the easier it is to mount and hold the beads.

The ones orderer are 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, 3/8 to 9/16 inches across the diameter, with holes from 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter. They are all coming out of a scrap bag and are a mix of materials.

Mounting is a mix of expanding mandrel for larger sizes, and friction mandrels and double stick tape for smaller sizes.

EZ tools detailer and mag eyes magnifier are a great help.

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Those look great! Many thanks for posting.

Are the 6-sided long nuts either end threaded too? These look ideal for getting right down to mandrel when turning, as I was really struggling with the tool interfering with the dead centers!!
Cheers

Yes, both ends are 'threaded' but in 'opposite' direction so the fit is nice and tight.

Kalai

Since woodworking is my business and had been for 30 years now, I have been able to come up with ways to produce many things and do so in an economical way.
Beads of any size could be made with a small bench top belt sander. Years ago I made a simple box that would mount to the top of the belt sander, the box had a top of plexi glass so I could see the beads being made.
I would cut squares of wood and put them in the box with a rough grit paper and mount the box and turn the sander on.
The little square pieces will bounce around in the box and smooth there edges, it is like tumbling rocks. You can use different grits to finish the beads.
If you do decide to make this let me know and I can give you some pointers to make it work better. Aloha.

Kalai

Top Bottom