Best "Searching for something I just had" stories

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

We are all getting older, and sometimes we are looking for something we just had in hand a few minutes ago. SO post your best stories of searching for something you KNOW you just had.....

GO!!!!

I'll start:
Some time ago I wanted to do maintenance on the head stock of my metal lathe. Among other things I wanted to replace and re-grease the bearings, add a tachometer, and add reverse for left hand threading on my metal lathe. I searched for an hour for the "Red-N-Tacky" tube I knew I have, but couldn't find it. Finally gave up and went to the local auto store and got another tube. When finished I decided to put it on a shelf where I knew where it was. As I reached up, I noticed------ Yep; the other tube. So now there are TWO tubes that I will not be able to find next time!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

searching for pen tubes I knew .i had. After a day with no result I ordered some more and a few spares. They arrive and after making sone blanks I decide to put the reserves somewhere safe and obvious , near the lathe. Open the box and yes there are the originals.

Oh and don't ask how many "reserve " T handle allen keys there are now in the workshop and garage. i now assign one per machine and leave the complete sets in place on the wall racks. Mind you my favourite extending magnet has dissappeared and I was using that last week so there's a new search....

greenacres2

Just last week...was placing a Klingspor order and the Sorby holder for sharpening tips was on sale. Thought i had one already--went to check, didn't find. Next morning, checked again--not there so added it to the order. Few days later, order arrived and when i put the holder on the sharpening shelf--i laid it right on top of the one i thought i had. Guess it's good to have a spare!!
earl

Kenny Durrant

This sounds like another Reality Show. If it is I'd be the star hands down. Not that I think everyone would want to see/watch me but between my wife and I we probably spend 1/4 or our day looking for things. I've done all the things listed so far but the one I do the most is when I put something I know I'll need in a safe place, mostly just where it goes, I'll forget the place or just won't see it and get frustrated and go to plan B. When finished with plan B and putting things up to prepare for the next plan A I'll find the original plan A material.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have dozens of such stories. That is the advantage of a long life of experiences combined with disorganization. :rolleyes:

When I moved from Osaka to Nagoya (Toyota City) in 2004, I had to go up on the roof of the house I had just moved into a couple of months earlier. I had my favorite hammer with me. After finishing what I was doing, I got down off of the roof with my small tool pouch. A few days later I looked and looked for my hammer. I backed way up and looked up on the roof and could not see it. 6 months later I was finishing up my 9x12 shed I built, and was putting the shingles on the roof. I glanced over at the house, just 10 feet away and saw my hammer in the gutter of the house. I placed it there as I turned to get onto the ladder.

My favorite marking device is a LeeValley Sliding Square here. I used that all the time. Living in Japan and coming back to the States once a year for a month, I often brought a few tools home (USA) with me to do some work here. One time, I began to look for my Veritas marking square, looked for months. Then the next time I was home (USA) It was here. I did not remember bringing that with me as I had a very good Starrett tri-square here. I probably spent 10 - 15 hours searching for that sliding square. BTW, now those sliding squares are $50. I got my first one when it was $10. I bought a second one when it was $20, and had one on both sides of the ocean.

Lastly, Because of losing the things I just had, I began to settle on two brands of tools for hand held tools: Primarily DeWalt and Ryobi. I was rebuilding my shop from the inside, I had to remove two layers of 3/4 plywood (not pressure treated) back in 2014 and 2015. The 2x 10 floor joists were pressure treated. (This was half of my shop as the other half had concrete floor). After removing the two layers of 3/4 ply that was rotting, the floor joists were just a couple of inches above the dirt. While working on the flooring and building up and re-enforcing the area under which I would put my two lathes with 2x10 at 8" spacing and concrete block support, I discovered that I could lay things on the ground between the joists and never see them. The one thing I could always see was the yellow Dewalt circular saw and my bright green Ryobi tools. Milwaukee red, Kobalt blue, black, dull green, gray, will hide in plain sight when searching for them. Yellow and florescent green will stand out and catch my attention, but the others blend in the surroundings. When I am in need for a new hand held tool, and I am torn between two tools, I will choose the one most visible in low light situations. When I need a tool, I need it then. I do not like having to stop and hunt for it when I just had it. Bright vivid colors make a huge difference, and even buy a slightly less featured tool that is easy to find makes it worth it!

See Kenney's post above mine: " or just won't see it and get frustrated and go to plan B." This is why a lesser features tool is an advantage if it is BRIGHT in color. (Red is not bright when in shadows).

Years ago I used to shoot in Hi-Power rifle competitions. They were usually held on Saturdays but this one event was a dual event, Saturday and Sunday. The prize was a new .243 hunting rifle which, after Saturdays shoot, I was running neck and neck with a couple other guys. After the shoot on Saturday I went home and cleaned my target rifle as usual. This required removing the bolt which is no big issue. After cleaning the rifle I put it back in the case and made sure it was ready for the next days shoot. After I got everything ready for the next day I looked down and realized I hadn't replaced the bolt so I wrapped it in a paper towel and put it in my shooting box.
On Sunday I arrived at the match ready to shoot and win the rifle. When I arrived at my shooting station and started to get set up I realized that I'd not put the bolt back in the target rifle and for the life of me I couldn't remember where I'd put it. So needless to say, I didn't shoot so I sure couldn't win the rifle. I just assumed I'd left it on the work bench. I got home and couldn't find the bolt anywhere. Took all my shooting stuff apart and still no bolt. I was beyond furious and used language that would probably make the Devil himself blush. My wife heard all the commotion, came out into the shop to make sure I hadn't cut my hand off or something. I told her what happened and she very sheepishly stated, "What's that in the paper towel?" I never had that happen again.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Not quite the same, but my father in law keeps forgetting that he has bought me the same thing as a stocking stuffer every Christmas for years - a giant roll of solder...and my entire house has been replumbed already. Not only that, but it's always 50-50 lead, which is only useable for radiators (which we don't have). I think I have eight giant rolls of it now

jttheclockman

I think I just told a story like this in another thread not long ago but will add another because it is not like this never happens to me. But a guy I know loves using the Wixie digital angle boxes and I have a few at different tools. Well one night I (I mean this guy) was checking Amazon for something and came across this Angle box http://wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html and thought it would be a good idea to have a spare laying around in case something happens to the other 3. :) So I ordered one. It comes in that week and I go to put it in the cabinet drawer in the shop and now it sits next to the other spare one I already had laying there. The mind is a terrible thing to lose. I can tell tons of these stories about this guy. He is a dunce.

Curly

My buddy bought me a set of import Forstner bits for Christmas. Following year he buys me another set for Christmas. I mentioned I still had last years gift and gave them to my father. Third Christmas, yup, he gives me another set. Thanked him and gave it back and told him this was set number three and I was good. Christmas number four I reminded him in November that I had Forester bits. ;)

Randy I have to confess that when I see "and go" or "go" on Faceboof I "stop" don't comment and move on. I almost did the same this time. Would you please not bring that silliness here? One of the reasons I like the IAP is because the members are more mature. Thanks.

Ray-CA

I finally made a diagram of how I spend my time in the garage and shop.

Attachments

• How I spend my time.jpg
    How I spend my time.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 105

howsitwork

Found the magnet !! Now just need to find the hammer stapler which was put somewhere safe as I don't use it often but....

leehljp

Member Liaison
This thread inspired me to order two sets of "Tile" locators for myself and my wife. Those things work - well except the one in her purse as she wants to put it so deep that it is impossible to hear! 😳

Top Bottom