Best material for first kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

What material would you all suggest for a first kitless pen. Criteria: Cheap so i don't feel bad if I mess up. And takes threads well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

You can do your practicing on Acrylic Acetate. My first three or four pens only used this. If you buy them on sale, the blanks are fairly inexpensive. They machine well and take a pretty good thread.
The problem, is that every material machines differently, so you will still have to do some practice/experimenting with each one.

This is the material I started on.
https://www.penblanks.ca/Acrylic-acetate-pen-blanks/

jalbert

I agree with Darrin. Your standard run of the mill acrylic acetates (such as those sold by beartooth, exotic blanks, etc) do very well for kitless. I enjoy using using them still. They machine well, are durable, and finish well. Their allure has been surpassed by some of the more exotic materials, but I am a big fan of acrylic acetate.

EricRN

Thanks all. AA is what I was thinking, too. I just wasn't sure how well it threads. I've got a couple blanks lying around. Now, just need my drill bits to arrive and we'll see how this goes!

I'm going to go against the grain and say that alumilite is a VERY forgiving material to learn on. It's a tiny bit less brittle than acrylic and while it can be more difficult to polish it is super easy to thread and shape. Lots of different cutting fluids out there but definitely use one. (WD40 is NOT a cutting fluid... or much of a lubricant really, plus it may ever react with your material and weaken it)

RobS

Got it. I was going to use WD 40, but I'll give vegetable oil
@McKenzie Penworks if cost is not an issue, 100% on alumilite.
However when you can buy AA for $2.5-3.5 per blank vs alumilite purchased $8-10, AA makes sense.

However, not all AA is the same and some turn far easier than others, the blue/black AA tends to be rock hard. :)

Top Bottom